How long does the swelling typically last in Juvederm?

I'm thinking about getting Juvederm and I wanted to know what kind of swelling to expect. How long does the swelling typically last? Is it confined to the injection site? Does the swelling vary depending on where the Juvederm is injected (lips vs cheeks, etc.)? Thanks!

Swelling After Juvederm

+1
You will probably experience some swelling, redness, discomfort and possibly bruising during the first few days following the injection. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. It is concentrated in the area of injection. 

Juvederm Swelling

+1

It is very common to have some temporary swelling an even a little asymmetry from the swelling post Juvederm procedure.  It typically lasts no more than 7 days, and most swelling is reduced within a few days.  Lips are a more sensitive area and swelling there is more common than at the cheeks or nasal labial folds.  We give all our patients ice packs which can help bring down any slight swelling that may occur.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Swelling and Juvederm

+1

Usually there is some swelling after injection with Juvederm or any of the fillers that may persist for a few days to a week.

Juvederm injections to the lips and face can cause temporary swelling.

+1

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler which is approved for facial smile lines. It can be injected with a dental block or now comes in the XC version with lidocaine in it. The most common side effect is swelling and bruising which is only temporary and with proper technique, limited. If the Juvederm XC is used, I am very aggressive with ice before and after injections to limit these effects. Swelling can be more common in the lips if it is injected for lip augmentation. The swelling is typically only limited to the area of injections. Keep in mind that these are soft tissue fillers and swelling is good! The product is designed to absorb water and this usually balances out over 2 weeks and can the filler effect can last over one year.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane lip and face injection swelling

+1

Juvederm, Restylane and Perlane and the most commonly injected soft tissue fillers in North America. They all belong to the class of fillers, called Hyaluronic Acids (HA's)  and have a very good safety profile.

The most common areas injected include the smile lines (the only FDA approved indication), cheeks, lips, chin and under eye region. Like all injectable filler products, the HA's can result in bruising, swelling, asymmetry, lumpiness and even skin necrosis and scarring. Fortunately, serious complications are rare and bruising ,swelling and lumpiness are the most common side effects.

Certain facial areas, under the eyes and lips are more prone to swelling and this swelling may last days or months. If swelling persists (most commonly under the eyes) then  HA"s can often be reversed by your physician injecting an enzyme if the results are unacceptable or need adjustment

Of course always consult a certified physician specialist skilled and experienced in the art and science of aesthetic medicine before embarking upon a treatment plan.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Juvederm or Restylane for fillers

+1

Both Juvederm and Restylane are excellent fillers. They are hyaluronic acids. The swelling occurs slightly in the first twenty-four hours. Some areas where swelling can be more pronounced are the eyelids and lips.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm Swelling

+1

I use BOTH Juvederm and Restylane/Perlane products in my practice and I leverage their individual characteristics in my patients' interests. Juvederm is associated with a slightly higher water capture and swelling rate than other HA fillers. While this makes in unsuitable for use in the lower lid, it makes it a great filler for the lip and corners of the lip among other places.

The inflammatory swelling of all fillers can be blunted with the use of Celebrex unless there are reasons this drug cannot be used.

Another word about filler choice.

Both Allergan (maker of Botox and Juvederm) and Medicis (distributor of Dysport and Restylane/Perlane) entice doctors to become SOLE users of their line of product by dropping the cost they sell these products to "dedicated" users. When you see such a physician, he makes much more money on  each syringe of Juvederm (in your case) he buys from Allergan because he does not buy any Restylane / Perlane. While he benefits each time, you may not be because your cosmetic options have been limited by his financial considerations.

For your benefit, you should insist on your doctor presenting you will ALL filling options

Juvederm

+1

Injection of juvederm can potentially cause very mild swelling, sometimes bruising.

Most of the time it is not noticable. Choose your physician very carefully, with experience and specialty to do the injections

Juvederm causes some swelling, as do most fillers

+1

Juvederm causes some swelling, as do most fillers.  I find it causes less than Restylane however.  Applying ice intermittently  to the area for several hours after your treatment and taking Arnica Montana (a homeopathic supplement) helps reduce both swelling and bruising.  Lip and under eye swelling is usually more noticeably than swelling in other facial areas.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm swelling

+1

Yes,Yes, Yes to all the questions. Swelling occurs but amount and longevity depends upon your healing the trauma to each area. etc. Just be prepared for swelling and things will be fine.

From MIAMI dr. B