Can Juvederm Be Used for Deep Wrinkles Between Eyebrows?

Juvederm for deep wrinkles between the eyebrows

+1

Juvederm can be used to correct deep frown lines (glabellar rhytids, elevens) between the brows.   I think it is even more effective to have Botox done first  and then 10 days later have Juvederm to correct any wrinkle that is left.   Because the brow is not repetitively contracting following Botox, the Juvederm should last longer.   The synergy between botox or dysport (neuromodulators) and fillers like juvederm, restylane, radiesse, or perlane allows better correction of deep wrinkles than when just either neuromodulator or filler alone is used. 

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep wrinkles between eyebrows

+1

Thanks for the question.

Juvederm can indeed be used to manage the deep wrinkles in the glabellar region. I would initially treat the area with a chemodenervation product such as Botox Cosmetic or Dyport, weakening the muscle groups and minimizing the wrinkle. Once this is accomplished, the injectable filler (Juvederm) can be used to manage any residual stigmata of wrinkling in this area. Additionally, the use of Botox in combination with the filler will prolong the effects of the filler.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Juvederm v. Botox

+1

In short, yes. Juvederm is FDA approved to treat any moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. However, for certain lines Juvederm is not always the best option available.

In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we commonly treat the deep wrinkles between the eyebrows with either Botox or a combination of Botox and Juvederm. Botox works by relaxing wrinkles caused by activity of underlying muscles, which is the case for wrinkles between the brows (also called “glabellar lines”) and why Botox on its own is often effective. When the wrinkles are too deep to be corrected by Botox alone Juvederm is added to fill in and further soften the lines.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Juvederm between the eyebrows

+1
The flagella is the space between the eyebrows. Creases here can be dynamic - from muscle contraction, or static - etched into your skin. The dynamic component contributes more, so the best way to treat the lines is with botox. If botox stops the movement but does not get rid of the lines, then Juvederm is very effective.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

The best solution for deep wrinkles between eyebrows is neuromodulators (Botox or Dysport).  Once that's done, wait a few weeks and see if the result is what you want.  If some of the wrinkle still persists then you can use injectable fillers (juvederm, restylane, perlane, etc.), however, the risks of complications in that area is higher so make sure you're going to an experienced injector.

Ramtin Kassir, Facial Plastic Surgeon NY, NJ

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Juvederm and Botox are a good team

+1

for eyebrow wrinkles. Botox relaxes the muscle that is the cause of the wrinkles. Juvederm fills the wrinkle.

Dr. Robert Kasten

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Botox can be used for wrinkles between the eyebrows.

+1

Both Botox and Juvederm are used in situations where a patient has deep wrinkles. Botox works by temporarily weakening the muscles that cause you to frown. These muscles are actually the culprits of causing the wrinkles. The Juvederm, in addition to the Botox, is a good option because Juvederm is a "filler," meaning it fills the void that is beneath the wrinkle.

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is sometimes useful for lines between the eyebrows.

+1

Nine out of 10 times the best approach for deep lines between the eyebrows is either Botox or Dysport.  Both act to relax the muscle action that causes the wrinkle.  In that 10th individual the first best approach is still Botox or Dysport.  I will treat the overactive muscle, wait 2 weeks and reassess.  If the deep lines are still present  then it is time for filler. Judicious use of the hyaluronic fillers works beautifully and lasts up to a year.  This should only be done by an experienced injector since there have been reports of skin damage in that area if too much or the wrong type of filler is used.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

A combination of Botox and Juvederm is Best for Deep Glabellar Lines

+1

In my experience, deep glabellar lines that are present even if you are not frowning will likely need BOTH botox and fillers. The good news is that they work synergistically together-- botox helps make the filler last longer!

Botox is much safer in this area-- it is FDA approved specifically for this indication. It is simple, easy, with minimum to no downtime. So I would suggest Botox first. Botox will address the "dynamic" aspect of the lines-- the fact that hyperactive muscles are causing the lines to form. It will soften them quite dramatically but I always tell my patients that if they have lines even if they are not actively using the muscles, those lines will likely still be there after botox.

After two weeks, a filler like juvederm will help fill in the depressed wrinkle. Remember, this is an advance technique-- there have been rare reports of skin ulcers from filler used in this area, so please go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced in this technique.

Good Luck! 

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is best first choice for forehead "11s", but Juvederm can be used.

+1

Botox will relax the muscles causing the wrinkles. If a week goes by and the "11s" are still quite prominent, despite botox,  judicious use of juvederm can be considered. Overuse though could create a lump, or even reduce the blood supply to the skin of the forehead.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon