Juvederm and Breastfeeding

I had juvederm ultra injected in my cheeks a week ago. my dermatologist said that it was safe to breastfeed my baby. i have been breastfeeding my baby for four months and am now learning that this is not approved or safe to do! what should i do now? do i really have to stop breastfeeding?!

Juvederm and breastfeeding

+1

You should not worry about breastfeeding and having had Juvederm. It is made up of hyalurons, naturally occurring substances in the body. Use in pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been approved by the FDA. Patients who are pregnant or nursing are not normally tested in clinical trials. I personally would not inject a nursing mother but I believe it is safe.

Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Breast Feeding

+1

Definitely check with your OBGYN, but I don't do it in anyone breast feeding or pregnant.  Not worth the risk.  No one knows whether or not any traces are in breast milk.

Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

I believJuvederm can be used safely in nursing mother.

+1

Juvederm is a very benign product that remains locally in the skin with little chance that any of it would get into the general circulation and into breast milk.  Even if it did, there is nothing in Juvederm that would be likely to harm the baby.  Even though this has not been validated by an approved study, common sense assures me that it is OK.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Breast Feeding

+1

Consult with your obstetrician and pediatrician about continuing to breast feed your  baby. There are no studies that have evaluated the safety of Juvederm in women who are breast feeding, but why take any chances? For those of you considering Filler Injections  i don't want to sound flippant, but what is more important -  your appearance or your baby's health? I rarely do any cosmetic procedures on a woman who is pregnant or breast feeding.

Juvederm and breastfeeding

+1

The safety of Juvederm during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established because no tests were performed in this population.  So the recommendation is not to use cosmetic devices and injectables during pregnancy and lactation.

Juvederm is made of hyaluronic acid, the same substance that is in our skin naturally.  There are no reports of any kind on Juvederm and pregnancy or Juvederm and lactation, either positive or negative. 

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and breast feeding

+1

While I doubt very much that injections of juvederm to the face would impact breast feeding, no one really knows for sure.  It is best to avoid injections during this time to be safest.

Juvederm in breastfeeding mom

+1

If a drug, or a device, has not been tested specifically on breastfeeding women then it cannot be "approved" for that population's use. That being said, there is no reason why this product should be any problem as I would not expect it to be found in breast milk and even if it was it is probably safer than lots of the food that we eat. 

Web reference: http://brookwooddermatology.com

Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvéderm® is safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding

+1

Juvéderm® [and other fillers] have not been formally studied in pregnancy and breastfeeding, but

1. there is no evidence from animal studies that Juvéderm® causes problems during pregnacy or breastfeeding, and

2. Juvéderm® is made from hyaluronic acid, abbreviated as "HA" [which is actually a form of sugar] found naturally throughout your body already. HA holds much of the water in your tissues, giving your skin it's springy, gel-like quality.

There is no scientific basis for thinking that Juvéderm® treatment during breastfeeding would be a problem for yourself or your baby, so stop worrying and start enjoying!

I have treated some of my patients during pregnancy or breastfeeding with Juvéderm®, with no problems for mother or baby, and good results.

Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

According to Allergan, the manufacturere of Juvederm, there has not been any indication that the presence of Juvederm will affect your baby through breastfeeding-does that mean that it's safe?  Who knows?  I advise all my patients who are breast feeding  not use fillers and Botox until they are done.  It's always better to err on safety than the unknown.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.