Post Juvederm: Is Not Being Able to Smell or Taste Anything a Side Effect?

I had Juvederm injections in February around my lips and again additional injections in April about 6weeks ago I lost total ability to taste or smell anything thing at all. I have a appt to see a specialist, but was just woundering if this could be a rare side effect?

Loss of Senses After Juvederm

+1

Anatomically, it is not possible that your lack of taste or smell came as a result from the Juvederm injections. This is likely just a coincidence. I recommend seeing your primary care doctor or a neurologist to look for other reasons that you may be experiencing this. Best of luck! 

Juvederm and loss of smell and taste

+1

The loss of smell and taste should not be related to your Juvederm injections into your lips.  Please consult an ENT specialist.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

It’s very unusual post Juvederm to have a problem with inability to taste or smell

+1

It’s very unusual post Juvederm to have a problem with inability to taste or smell.  You should see a specialist to determine if there is something else going on. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sense of smell and taste not affected by Juvederm lip injection.

+1

Sense of smell and taste should not be affected by Juvederm lip injection. If you are having these symptoms, you should ask your physician to refer you to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) Specialist for proper evaluation.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Sense of Smell

+1

The nerves that sense smell are not in the same places that Juvederm is injected.  I would contact an ENT for an evaluation.  Sometimes a sinus infection can cause anosmia, so that might be a possibility, but you need to be examined.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm side effect - loss of smell and taste

+1

I have never experienced or heard of such a side effect in any of my patients' lip treatments with Juvederm.  The nerve innervations that control sense of smell and taste are nowhere near the typical sites of Juvederm injection in the lip.  I would definitely consult with an ENT physician for further workup.

Narin (Dr.Joe) Apisarnthanarax, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Smell should not be changed by Juvederm Lip Augmentation

+1

Juvederm Lip Augmentation should not cause your sense of smell or taste to change.  You should be seen by an ENT surgeon to evaluate this symptom.

Likely unrelated problem.

+1

This is not a recognized side effect of fillers, and is likely a concurrent, coincidental issue. As mentioned above, an Ear Nose and Throat specialist should be consulted.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lost senses after juvederm

+1

I have never seen this happen nor have I heard of such side effects. I would see an ENT doctor to evaluate this. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Post Juvederm side effect

+1

I have never seen or heard of Juvederm causing this side effect and agree that you should have it evaluated by another physician.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon