Do Juvederm and Radiesse Have Good Results in the Hands?

Does using both Juvederm and Radiesse increase the longevity over just using Radiesse alone? How common it this treatment combo?

Fillers for the hands

+2

Greetings~

We do quite a bit of Radiesse and hand rejuvenation in our practice. We get great results with Radiesse in the hands! Patients are extremely pleased with the results. I don't think it's necessary to use Juvederm and Radiesse for the best results in the hands...and if I were to choose one for this indication based on results and longevity it would be Radiesse.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Radiesse is Excellent for the Hands

+2

Radiesse has excellent results in the hands -- they look younger, less "veiny".  Sculptra also produces excellent results.  Usually Juvederm is not used in the hands.  If injected superficially, a bluish hue can result known as the Tyndall Effect.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Hand rejuvenation

+2

In my opinion, choosing the right filler is based on patient and doctor preference.  Radiesse and juvederm work well, but if you want longevity, sculptra would be best.  Also in our practice, I will combine laser resurfacing the skin of the hands as well.  This also helps in the rejuvenation.  Ask you surgeon about laser re-surfacing of the hand.

Dr. Vasisht, South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse for the hands

+2

I prefer Radiesse in the hands over Juvederm or Hyaluronic acid fillers. Radiesse tends to provide longer lasting volume in this area.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Radiesse to Augment the Hands

+1

There is no advantage to using both Radiesse and Juvederm to augment the hands to reverse the physical signs of the aging process. My first choice is the patient's own fat, followed by Radiesse injections.

Hand Rejuvenation Is An Important Part of Overall Rejuvenation

+1

No matter how nice the face and neck may look after nonsurgical rejuvenation techniques, untreated hands can be the biggest betrayor of a person's true age. Bulging veins and tendons on the backs of the hands scream aging as loudly as bags and tear troughs under the eyes or sagging marionette line angles at the sides of the mouth. 

Radiesse, composed of calcium hydroxyl apatite, is my first choice for treating this area. It is a natural material, which has been found to be very successful in giving long-lasting (between one to two years) results for treating the backs of aging, thinning hands. In general, when premixed with local anesthesia, the treatment is quick and simple. A bolus (a glob) of the material is injected into the back of each hand and then massaged forward into place until the tendons and blood vessels are sufficiently masked. One syringe is usually required for each hand. The results are immediate and typically quite gratifying. 

While Juvederm Ultra XC (composed of hyaluronic acid premixed with local anesthetic) may also be used for this purpose, the results typically do not last as long (eight to twelve months) as with Radiesse. In general this material may be reserved for "first-timers" (i.e. those that have never experienced hand rejuvenation) who might want a material that provides the safety of knowing that hyaluronidase (an enzyme that can quickly dissolve away hyaluronic acid) may be used if for some reason they wish tor reverse the effects. When injected for this purpose, Juvederm is typically layered between the tendons and then massaged in place, rather than injected as a glob. The esthetic results are also quite satisfying. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Radiesse is enough

+1

Radiesse itself will give you a good correction and should last longet than juvederm. I see no reason to get complicated and use both. Use radiesse by itself

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Radiesse is best for hand rejuvenation

+1

When it comes to fillers for hand rejuvenation, Radiesse is by far the best, "hands down". One 1.5 cc syringe should be injected per hand and it should not be combined with other fillers. Radiesse has many advantages over Sculptra for hands: Radiesse takes only one treatment instead of multiple treatments for Sculptra, the results of Radiesse injections are immediate whereas Sculptra injections take six to nine months to fully work, and Radiesse is less expensive.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Old looking hands - restoring volume (Radiesse, Juvederm, fat transfer, etc)

+1

To restore volume to "old-looking" hands, I prefer Radiesse or autologous fat (fat taken from one part of your body and injected into the backs of your hands). Both give excellent results. You have less down time with Radiesse than you would with autologous fat, but, even with the fat transfer procedure, post-operative pain/swelling/bruising is really minimal. I never use a hyaluronic acid filler (like Juvederm or Restylane) to restore volume to the hands. Using it in combination with Radiesse (in the backs of the hands) does not prolong the effects of the Radiesse. There is nothing harmful about using Juvederm to restore volume to the backs of the hands, it's just that you'd need quite a few syringes of the product (Juvederm or Restylane) to achieve comparable results as you'd get with one to one-and-a-half syringes of Radiesse (1.5cc in each syringe), and the effects would not last as long as they would with the Radiesse.

To treat aging hands, I like to use a combination of volume restoration with IPL (intense pulsed light) or the Q-switched alexandrite/ruby/nd:yag laser to remove the sun spots. In addition, another laser, the fractionated carbon dioxide laser (Fraxel Re:pair or Lumenis Active/Deep FX) can be used on the backs of the hands to promote skin thickening (collagen regeneration and remodeling) and even out pigment irregularities. Finally, if the veins on the backs of your hands appear prominent and still bother you despite the restoration of volume to the area, they can be treated with sclerotherapy (injections into the veins which cause your body to ultimately break them down and subsequently resorb them).

For each of these procedures, I'd recommend that you see a physician who has experience specifically in treating the hands (ie. cosmetic dermatologists/plastic surgeons), and with whom you feel comfortable. Asking your doctor for examples of "before" and "after" pictures from patients that she/he has treated is always a good idea.

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Radiesse in the Hands

+1

The first thing I always suggest about hands is: use your sunscreen, every day! So often people have nice facial skin, and old looking hands! For actual volume for the hands, I recommend Radiesse more often as it lasts longer there. Adding Juvederm on top won't increase longevity.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD