Do Juvederm and Radiesse Have Good Results in the Hands?

Does using both Juvederm and Radiesse increase the longevity over just using Radiesse alone? How common it this treatment combo?

Radiesse is Excellent for the Hands

Radiesse has excellent results in the hands -- they look younger, less "veiny".  Sculptra also produces excellent results.  Usually Juvederm is not used in the hands.  If injected superficially, a bluish hue can result known as the Tyndall Effect.

Fillers for the hands

We do quite a bit of Radiesse and hand rejuvenation in our practice. We get great results with Radiesse in the hands! Patients are extremely pleased with the results. I don't think it's necessary to use Juvederm and Radiesse for the best results in the hands...and if I were to choose one for this indication based on results and longevity it would be Radiesse.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Radiesse for the hands

I prefer Radiesse in the hands over Juvederm or Hyaluronic acid fillers. Radiesse tends to provide longer lasting volume in this area.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse is a Great Option to Reduce the Signs of Aging Hands

Now it is even FDA approved for injection into the hands. Radiesse addresses volume loss and increased visibility of the veins and tendons in the hand.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in the hands

Thank you for your question.  Both Juvederm and Radiesse can be used in the hands.  I don't think adding the two together, however, adds much to the longevity other than the fact that you added more volume.

Hand rejuvenation

In my opinion, choosing the right filler is based on patient and doctor preference.  Radiesse and juvederm work well, but if you want longevity, sculptra would be best.  Also in our practice, I will combine laser resurfacing the skin of the hands as well.  This also helps in the rejuvenation.  Ask you surgeon about laser re-surfacing of the hand.

Dr. Vasisht, South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Radiesse to Augment the Hands

There is no advantage to using both Radiesse and Juvederm to augment the hands to reverse the physical signs of the aging process. My first choice is the patient's own fat, followed by Radiesse injections.

Hand Rejuvenation Is An Important Part of Overall Rejuvenation

No matter how nice the face and neck may look after nonsurgical rejuvenation techniques, untreated hands can be the biggest betrayor of a person's true age. Bulging veins and tendons on the backs of the hands scream aging as loudly as bags and tear troughs under the eyes or sagging marionette line angles at the sides of the mouth. 

Radiesse, composed of calcium hydroxyl apatite, is my first choice for treating this area. It is a natural material, which has been found to be very successful in giving long-lasting (between one to two years) results for treating the backs of aging, thinning hands. In general, when premixed with local anesthesia, the treatment is quick and simple. A bolus (a glob) of the material is injected into the back of each hand and then massaged forward into place until the tendons and blood vessels are sufficiently masked. One syringe is usually required for each hand. The results are immediate and typically quite gratifying. 

While Juvederm Ultra XC (composed of hyaluronic acid premixed with local anesthetic) may also be used for this purpose, the results typically do not last as long (eight to twelve months) as with Radiesse. In general this material may be reserved for "first-timers" (i.e. those that have never experienced hand rejuvenation) who might want a material that provides the safety of knowing that hyaluronidase (an enzyme that can quickly dissolve away hyaluronic acid) may be used if for some reason they wish tor reverse the effects. When injected for this purpose, Juvederm is typically layered between the tendons and then massaged in place, rather than injected as a glob. The esthetic results are also quite satisfying. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Radiesse is enough

Radiesse itself will give you a good correction and should last longet than juvederm. I see no reason to get complicated and use both. Use radiesse by itself

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Radiesse is best for hand rejuvenation

When it comes to fillers for hand rejuvenation, Radiesse is by far the best, "hands down". One 1.5 cc syringe should be injected per hand and it should not be combined with other fillers. Radiesse has many advantages over Sculptra for hands: Radiesse takes only one treatment instead of multiple treatments for Sculptra, the results of Radiesse injections are immediate whereas Sculptra injections take six to nine months to fully work, and Radiesse is less expensive.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon