Do I Need Jaw Surgery or Lipo? (photo)

I'm a young male of a normal weight (BMI of 23) that has a double chin problem. I'm wondering if the cause of my double chin is simply excess fat deposits that needs lipo, or because of a smaller lower jaw? I have a profile photos which might help. 1st shows my normal profile with the excess fat showing. 2nd is me flexing my neck muscle, this makes the excess fat disappear. 3rd is be pushing my bottom teeth over my front to align my jaw properly, this fixes my double chin as well. Thank you

Chin Implant or Genioplasty with Liposuction

+2

If you have enough fat to suction, liposuction is reasonable, but either a chin implant or osseous genioplasty would give the most significant improvement.

Sometimes it could be the Bones

+1

Thank you for your picture series.  You have answered your own question. Your best improvement is with a lower jaw advancement surgery.  This improves you neck/chin/jaw aesthetics and addresses your lower and upper jaw skeletal alignment which will improve your dental function and maintain your dental and jaw joint health. See a BC plastic surgeon who has experience with these procedures or see a BC oral and maxillofacial surgeon

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Suture Suspension Necklift for Obtuse Neck

+1
Thank you for your photos and question. You have very effectively demonstrated with photos the effect of having an obtuse neck.  It is a result of the level of muscle insertion on the bones of the neck.  Liposuction or a chin implant is not the answer.  A  suture suspension neck lift is the answer. This procedure is very effective in significantly improving the contour of necks such as yours.  Consult a surgeon with significant expertise with this procedure.   See link below.  Good luck.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Jaw surgery or lipo?

+1

Liposuction of the chin/neck area can yield a fantastic result. This can be combined with a chin implant to further enhance the appearance of the jawline. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she can morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result may appear. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Jaw surgery vs. Lipo

+1

Hello and thanks for your questions and photos.  Two things come to mind before giving a recommendation of what can be done to improve your chin/neck area, as you can already see many different options for you.  Cephalometrics and occlusion are what I would consider first.  An lateral x-ray of your facial bones would give an assessment of the angles used to determine what is really going on structurally.  In addition evaluating the occlusion of your teeth will also aid a board-certified plastic surgeon in evaluating your concerns.  If neither of these are suggested/done, then your end result might not be what you desire.  I hope this helps

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Liposuction vs necklift

+1
It is difficult to determine without an in person evaluation, but liposuction would likely provide you the result you are hoping to achieve. 
Cervical / submandibular liposuction
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.
Suture suspension neck lift
In cosmetic surgery patients that do not have a sharp transition in profile between the submental area (area below the jawline) and the anterior neck, and in patients who simply want that transition enhanced, I add a 'suture suspension necklift'. A permanent suture is passed subcutaneously across the anterior neck, at the level corresponding to depth of the angle between the submental area and anterior neck, and is then anchored to the deep soft tissues behind each earlobe. This suspension cosmetic surgery procedure can dramatically enhance the definition between the jawline and anterior neck, producing a more elegant profile.
The neck is without question the primary 'facelift' aesthetic area where subtractive (excisional) and tightening procedures restore a truly youthful contour. Once again, take a look at the fashion magazines: essentially every neck you'll see demonstrates something close to a right angle between the neck and jaw. When it comes to the neck, and only in the neck, flat is good.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chin and neck

+1

A small silastic chin implant and neck liposuction would be beneficial to improve the jawline.  Please see our website photo  gallery  for many examples similar to yours 

Do I Need Jaw Surgery or Lipo?

+1

Great posted photos but over the internet very hard to determine which operative choices would be best. seek IN PERSON evaluations. My guess would be to try sub mental smart lipo+lipo plus a small chin implant. 

Chin surgery or jaw surgery is best for your double chin

+1

Your photos, especially your third photo illustrate your underlying issue responsible for double chin, which is lack of adequate skeletal support for your soft tissue chin and jaw line.  It is important for you to be evaluated by a surgeon who's familiar with not only soft tissue but also bony surgery.  If your upper and lower jaw and teeth are in proper position, then your chin can be addressed by bony chin surgery or chin implant augmentation.  If your jaws are out of alignment then corrective jaw surgery to move the lower jaw forward is the right surgery for you.  Liposuction under the neck alone will not give you the best profile aesthetics.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck silhouette: may be limited by hyoid bone

+1

One aspect to consider is the position of the hyoid bone. On lateral view, this bone lies at the junction between the more horizontal jaw line and the more vertical neck line. In some people, the bone is located more forward, which blunts the appeance of the neck, even if there isn't much neck fat. You could be pulling the hyoid bone backwards by flexing your neck muscle. By pushing the chin forward, you are dropping the jaw slightly and elongating the distacne between chin and hyoid bone which also improves appearance. The position of the hyoid bone cannot not be favorably altered and is an underlying structure that the overlying skin and fat has to drape over. A combo of liposuction and chin augmentation would be best.

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon