Double-chin on ONE Side of Face. What is my Best Option? (photo)

In 2002, I asked my Dr. about my one-sided double chin and he referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist said that I likely had nerve damage that was likely from a swollen gland in childhood. Several of my neck muscles are apparently not connected to the nerves and other supporting muscles are doing the work, giving me an asymetrical chin and neckline. Would an electrical-stimulation device would allow me to exercise my atrophied neck muscles? Would liposuction improve my appearance?

Unilateral Double Chin

There may be definite treatments to help reduce the protrusion on your left side. However, they likely won't come from a plastic surgeon. Your best bet is to seek a qualified ENT nearby who can offer some options. Best of luck! 

328 East 75th Street
New York, NY 10021

One-sided double chin from nerve damage

It looks like your salivary gland on that side is protruding where the supporting muscles are weak.  It is not uncommon in facelift procedures to resect excess salivary tissue, tighten the muscle sling, re-suspend the salivary gland, or perform any combination of these to get a better contour.  Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with salivary gland contouring.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

1208 East Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33602

Muscle Laxity or Gland Descent or Both

If this is due to muscle laxity or gland descent, this can be improved with a neck lift type of procedure.  The MRI should have determined if there was a mass or increased size of salivary gland.  Liposuction will not help to any great degree.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Asymmetric neck volume should be worked up.

The photo demonstrates asymmetric volume distribution in the neck. Nerve injury to the platysma causing this is unlikely. Enlargement of the sub mandibular gland and other possible causes should be ruled out before diagnosing a functional muscle problem.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Neck Mass?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Not to alarm you, but I think your  first priority should be to maintain a definitive diagnosis of the problem  area.  This may require additional consultation and/or imaging studies ( MRI).

Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options can be discussed.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

I Have a Double-chin on ONE Side of my Face. What is my Best Option?

Seek work up from head and neck surgeon ASAP. You could have a salivary gland tumor, prolapsed gland, an anatomic/congenital deformity. I doubt it is of neurologic origin. Please follow up with your findings Best to you. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Asymmetrical Neckline

Hello, I'm agree with the possibility of protruded salivary gland due to week neck muscles more than redundant fat. In case this is the real diagnosis, we can use the same submental approach as  in Face/Neck  Lift ,  for neck muscles tightening and prolapsed  salivary gland. Need to be done by experienced Certified Plastic Surgeon, not bad idea to re-evaluate your case by  a Head and Neck Surgeon.

Happy Holidays 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Blvd. Agua Caliente 4558
Tijuana, BC 22014

"Double Chin"

I agree that this appears to be a prolapsed salivary gland. It could be redundent fat but this is unusual for just one side of the neck. If it is from a decended gland it could be corrected by partial excision or doing a "pexy" (tightening) of the underlying tissues. Not many plastic surgeons will excise the gland which can be done thru a submental incision. The pexy would be easier. I would look for a surgeon who is versed in Face Lifts and has experience in working on a proplapse submaxillary gland. If you are up front asking them about this they should tell you their experience.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

2060 East Paris Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

Serious Neck Mass?

I would get that fullness evaluated by a head and neck surgeon to rule out a growth that needs removal.  I would not worry about electrical stimulation.

Evaluation sooner rather than later is the rule of the day for you!

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078