Can Jaw Implants Be Removed?

Can jaw implants be removed (say, like a chin implant could) if after surgery one was dissatisfied with the results? I thought any implant was removeable but according to a website they are not removeable. Also, I am having a lot of trouble finding a facial plastic surgeon who performs this in the Tennessee area? I was hoping to get this done in Nashville or Knoxville. Thank for your help.

Jaw and chin implants

+2

As far as I know all facial implants are removeable. Some like silicone are much easier to remove than porous implants like Porex Medpor. Vacular ingrowth takes place with the Medpor making removal technically more difficult but it can be done. Hydroxyappetite used as an implant can be replaced by bone ingrowth so those might be very difficult to remove but I am not aware of anyone who uses that for cosmetic augmentation of facial bones. Even if the implants are removed you cannot go back in time to exactly what you looked like before the implants were placed because these implants have effects on the tissues that surround them.

Jaw implants can be removed

+1

Yes you can remove these. I would go to someone that is familiar with this or you could run into problems if they are not familiar with this revisional type of work.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw implant removal

+1

All implants can be removed through the incision that they were placed. This includes jaw implants, chin implants, and cheek implants. They can all be easily removed and the incision closed behind them. All implant placements are totally reversible.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Removeable Jaw Implants

+1

Implants are made of different materials. Some are smooth and easy to remove while others have a porous surface which promotes tissue ingrowth making removal very difficult. In some instances, surgeons place the implants with screws which can also make it more difficult to remove.

Removable jaw implants.

+1

If you are talking about silicone implants, they can be removed without causing any problem. Other implants that allow tissue to grow into them are much more difficult to  remove.

Chin and jaw implants

+1

Chin implants can be removed but the soft tissue areound the chin may not conform as it once did because of the stretched out tissues.  As for the jaw implants they are a bit more tough to get to, but can be removed.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.