How Can I Regain my Youthful Baby Face After my Facelift

I had a SMAS facelift 4 months ago (age 55). I have lost my youthful baby face and have a sculpted face (like all the celebs). Everything is tight again but I have lost my one asset, my round face. I never had cheek bones even in my 20's. But I was carded well into my 30's. Even at age 55 people used to think I was a lot younger. I feel like the facelift almost made me look older. So what would you suggest I do to get some volume back in my lower cheeks to create a baby face?

Youthful face after a facelift

+3

Yours is a very curious question and without photos is hard to answer.  Maybe some fillers will help but it sounds like your surgery was well done and you need to realize that you can't go back in time, only improve the face you have at the present.

Most patients look for a more sculpted face, but there are exceptions.

+3

If you feel that you like the look of the "baby face', this can be restored by a volumn filler such as Sculptra Esthetic or fat grafting to the areas you wish to appear rounder. Of the two, we usually prefer Sculptra Esthetic because it does not require harvest of fat, is more reliable, and has better longevity.  However it may take multiple sessions to achieve the look you wish.

Dr. Mayl

Fort lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Facial soft tissue fillers and Fat Injection can restore youthful fullness to the face

+2

While a Facelift can tighten skin and improve neck laxity, jowls and sagging cheek, a Facelift does not add volume to the face.

A young face not only has a firm jawline and neck but also has volume, produced by normal facial fat, which produces a fresh full plump look especially to the cheeks and cheek bone area. As we age we loose this fat.

More and more Plastic Surgeons are looking to "volume restoration" as one key to rejuvenating a face to a youthful appearance.

Volume resoration can be most readily achieved using soft tissue filler injections, Radiesse and Pearlane for the cheek area, and Juvederm and Restylane for the lower face and mouth area.

Fat injections can also be helpful however they require a lot of skill and experience. I recommend trying the fillers first to see if you like the results-they dissolve with time and thus you can choose not to have the effect, unlike fat grafts which are more likely to be permanent

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How to get your baby face back after a face lift?

+2

Dear Dilee,
As we age, some of our dermal fats and deep facial fats are reduced or lost. This process results in hollowness of facial features that contribute to appearing older. Since you had a lower face lift, your best option is fat grafting. I recommend getting fat grafting with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) since addition of PRP makes fat more viable and long lasting. Good Luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Fat grafting may help

+2

You are not the first patient that has this complain. The typical aging process involves loss of the facial fat and sagging. Face lift helps with the sagging and fat grafting will restore the volume.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Baby face and how to get it back.

+2

Well, you can't! You can improve the upper 1/2 with cheek implants and the lower 1/2 with fat grafting which we have used successfully for 35 years. We can turn back the clock, but not to 20.

Narrowing of face not uncommon after facelift.

+2

Unfortunately, a classic facelift actually made the face look narrower and therefore older.  The goal of the current facelift is to reposition tissue and often to add tissue as in lipoinjection, to achieve a more natural fuller face.  This also helps to avoid the pulled wind tunnel look.  If you are unhappy, go back to your plastic surgeon to discuss your options such as fat injections, to get the look you want.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

IF you had a youthful face, why did you get a facelift?

+2

Losing facial fat is a typical hallmark of aging. It is unlikely that the facelift removed any significant amount of fat and it is more likely that it redraped lax skin that made the facial atrophy more apparent. Fillers and/or fat grafting may be beneficial in restoring your loss of facial fullness. Discuss these options with your surgeon.

Regaining and Maintaining Youthful Appearance after a Face Lift

+1

The short answer is that you may benefit from fillers or resurfacing procedures following a facelift.

Fillers  following a face lift makes perfect sense. This is because you age by three factors - sagging (through gravity and time), loss of volume (counteracted by fillers), and skin texture (determined by environmental and genetic factors). Your fillers should enhance your effect of the lifting if placed appropriately by addressing one of the causes of aging..Most often one of these factors are more out of balance than another and therefore your procedures should customize for what is most needed. Often fillers alone can "stall" the inevitable as they only correct one aspect of aging.
Facelift and Skin resurfacing procedures (laser, Ulthera or Thermage ) and fillers are synergistic so as long as you wait until the Sculptra injection site is soft you should do fine. Not a problem and there is no problem with the timing for a facelift. Sculptra, Radiesse, Jeuvederm, Restylane, fat transfer and other fillers address volume issues, resurfacing procedures corrects surface flaws associated with aging and face lifting addresses the sagging loose skin. Resurfacing procedures address skin texture, color variation (e.g. sun spots)- so all three are synergistic and complementary. It is very common in my practice to do all three approaches to rejuvenation at the same time

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Regaining youthful volume

+1

Although it is hard to tell without seeing your pictures what you are describing is likely related to volume loss and would be improved with facial fat grafting

Sam Naficy, MD