Deviated Septum Nose Surgery - Go to a Plastic Surgeon?

It may sound strange but I like the way my nose looks, it just doesn't work that well, especially the right nostril. I had an E.E.N.T. doctor do this when I was 17, but the results were not very good. I'm 53 now, and haven't found the obstruction any easier to deal with. Should I go to a plastic surgeon to get the deviated septum fixed?

Turf battle redux

+4

Oh, turf battles are fun. ;-)

My colleague here mentioned Jacques Joseph as one of the pioneers of rhinoplasty in the early 1900s, which is quite true. But Dr. Joesph was not a general plastic surgeon.

In fact, Jacques Joseph was originally trained as an orthopedic surgeon. However, given his expertise in nasal surgery (and otoplasty...ear pinning) he was later appointed head of the facial plastic surgery section at the Royal Ear and Nose Clinic of the Charite´ Hospital in Berlin by the Prussian Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trouble breathing through your nose?

+3

There are numerous ENT, Facial Plastic and Plastic Surgeons who have the training and expertise to address your difficulty breathing after a prior septoplasty or septorhinoplasty. This could simply be a persistent deviation in your septum which narrows your nasal airway on one or both sides. On the other hand, you may have some narrowing of what we call the internal or external valves of your nose. The diagnosis could be easily be made with an examination of the inside and outside of your nose. Be sure to visit a surgeon who specializes in revision nasal surgery, as the level of complexity is greater in these cases. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

More important is the plan

+3

Whether you see a plastic surgeon or an ENT, your surgeon should listen carefuly to your problems, do a careful examination, and be able to point out to you what your fixable issues are, if any. Sometimes patients with breathing problems need to see an allergist, not a plastic surgeon. You should feel very comfortable with the consultation and the doctor's expertise, thoroughness and concern for you.

If you are simultaneously considering aesthetic improvement of the nose, you should feel that the surgeon is well versed in aesthetic rhinoplasty. The plan for your nose should feel very specific to the issues. the plan should make basic sense. You may want to look at a number of before - after pictures, to see the doctor's style.

There are many fine surgeons from both the ENT and the plastic surgery camps.

Brent Moelleken, MD

A plastic surgeon is a great choice

+2

The short answer is "yes". I think either a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or an Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon who is also properly trained will do just fine. Don't let your previous experience when you were 17 discourage you-- if you're having difficulty with your airway, there is usually a good and safe solution. Have someone with the proper training and experience examine you and give you some options for correction.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon is an excellent choice

+2

Rhinoplasty (or nasal reshaping surgery) can be one of the most challenging surgical procedures. There are many plastic surgeons who perform excellent rhinoplasty procedures. Might I suggest even going one step further and find a facial plastic surgeon for your procedure. Facial plastic surgeons are generally ENT physicians who have gone on to have further training facial cosmetic and reconstructive procedures.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting your deviated septum by a plastic surgeon

+1
To be honest if you are only correcting the functional aspect of your nose I do not think it makes a huge difference.  Both plastic surgeons as well as ENT's are trained in the area of correction of breathing/airway issues.  I think there is a lot of ego issues in medicine today and competition.  The truth is you should go to whomever you have a good connection to assuming you have checked their credentials and they are indeed board certified in which ever field. 

Now if you were planing to address the cosmetic aspects of your nose then the debate over a plastic surgeon vs ENT becomes a bit more sticky but I will save you the pain of the discussion.

Hope that helps

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

Deviated Septum Nasal Surgery - Plastic Surgeon or ENT?

+1

The most important thing is that you seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or an Otolaryngologist that has both Expertise and Experience in doing both functional and aesthetic rhinoplasty. It does not matter who you go to as long as the person who does the rhinoplasty is very versed in doing septal reconstruction concomitantly.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Who treats a deviated septum?

+1
The answer is that you can go to a plastic surgeon, ENT or facial plastic surgeon for evaluation. From the description of your symptoms, your deviated septum may have been repaired but you could have collapse of the nasal valve. Once the basis for your condition is elucidated, the surgeon can recommend a plan of treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Deviated nasal septum

+1

It appears that you will require a revision septoplasty to repair your deviation.  This can be a complex procedure and one that may require use of ear or rib cartilage.  Your nasal airway obstruction may also be due to valve collapse or turbinate hypertrophy.  Seek and experienced nasal/rhinoplasty surgeon for the best functional result.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal obstruction surgery

+1

You should go to a surgeon who is well trained in dealing with nasal surgery both functional and cosmetic. Facial Plastic surgeons are trained to treat both aspect of nasal surgery and have spent at least five years training in head and neck region. I believe, they are best suited to deal with functional nasal surgery. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon