Can Someone with Autoimmune Disease Undergo Rhinoplasty?

My 20-year-old daughter would like to get a nose job. However, she has amyopathic dermatomyositis since she was 5. We're also planning to check with her rheumatologist, but I'd like to ask here as well, does her condition make this surgery unadvisable? Would you turn a patient with her condition away?

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Autoimmune Disease

+2

Hi Elise,

Your daughter would need to have medical clearence before undergoing surgery.  The surgery can be performed under local anesthesia with IV sedation if there is a contraindication to general anesthesia.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Potentially

+2

From what I found out about your daughter's disease, the neuromuscular component seems to be rare. I think you should find out from her rheumatologist whether or not there is a danger with general anesthesia. If she has muscle problems it may be difficult to get off the ventilator after surgery. An immunologist will be able to tell if she has tendencies towards wound healing problems. If all that is squared away and in her favor, she would probably do fine with her surgery.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for patient with autoimmune disease

+1

Yes, ultimately this is something that must be cleared by her rheumatologist, but my research in AD is that the skin manifestations do not usually involve the nose, and that they are not exacerbated by surgery. However, I am not aware if the muscle manifestations increase her risk from having twilight sedation, nor if the medications she may take for it can be associated with an increased risk of complications. Her surgery may be best performed in a hospital/surgery center setting for her safety.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Autoimmune disorders and rhinoplasty

+1

In patients with medical conditions which are not as common, it is important that the care is coordinated amongst treating physicians.  The risks and benefits of the procedure must be clearly outlined.  In addition, elective procedures need special consideration to determine if the payoff is worth the risk involved. 

Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/nose.html

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon