OK to Exfoliate a Few Days After Fraxel?

I used an exfoliate this morning. My skin still feels the same. Is that going to hurt my outcome from Fraxel? Also is it normal to have a few breakouts and what can I do to prevent this? I thought the heat from the laser would kill the bacteria and prevent breakouts. I am a little annoyed that now I am having small whitehead breakouts.

Hold Off on the Exfoliating after Fraxel

+2

Hi Ashley,

No exfoliating your sensitive Fraxel treated skin. It is normal to have some breakouts, particularily around the chin area. Some of my patients who are being treated for acne scars with Fraxel re:store laser will have breakouts immediately following treatments, but we have seen great improvement in some patients with their active acne following a series of treatments. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Gentle exfoliation after Fraxel Restore is okay

+1

As long as you do it gently, such as with the pads of your fingers while water is running over your face in the shower, or with a gentle facial in the hands of a good esthetician, careful exfoliation starting 3 or more days after a Fraxel Restore treatment is okay. Just be careful never to pick or scratch and don't be too aggressive. If you are too harsh with your skin you could develop hyperpigmentation or even risk scarring. If you are unsure, then don't exfoliative without your physician's approval.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon