Went into Shock After Lipo Will It Happen Again After a TT?

i went into shock after lipo 7 months ago, one of the sites was seeping a lot of blood and liquid and the i.v wasnt working, so im told by the clinic. my blood went down to 36 and my blood pressure dropped dramatically. Im worried that the same will happen when i have a tummy tuck next week, is it likely to happen again?

Possible Complications after Tummy Tuck

+3

Without examining all the records, it is impossible to determine if the same problem of shock you had with the liposuction will happen again. However, you should never consider any further surgery until you determine exactly what did happen. There are two reasons such a problem can occur. The first is a physiologic problem with your body. The only way to determine this is with a complete evaluation. The second reason is improper monitoring and overaggressive liposuction without adequate fluid replacement. From your question it sound as if this was your problem. Unfortunately, this happens not infrequently in non accredited facilities where the surgery is done by non Plastic Surgeons or even non-surgeons. Before having any further surgery I would suggest you check the credentials of the surgeon and the accreditation of the facility where the surgery is to be done. The surgeon should have full hospital privileges to do abdominoplasties in a hospital and, preferably, be fully board certified in plastic surgery. The facility should also be fully certified for general anesthesia. Also make sure that your anesthesiologist is fully board certified in anesthesia. You should also have your records from the liposuction reviewed to determine the exact cause. If there is any indication you had a personal reaction to something, you will need an evaluation.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+3

It is difficult to know what happened with the amount of info in your posting. I would suggest a pre-op consultation with the anesthesiologist, who can review the anesthesia record, and determine if any testing or consultation is in order.

Thank you for your question, all the best.

Shock after Cosmetic Procedure

+2

Post-operative after liposuction there can be a drop in blood pressure. It must also be ensured that the IV is working. It is important that you are evaluated by your doctor and disclose all information to your anesthesiologist before having another procedure.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Shock after liposuction

+2

is an extremely rare event and in my experience, unheard of.  If your doctor called it shock, you need to find out from them why it happened and then take precautions to prevent it from happening again.  If you are in good health, shock should not be a problem after liposuction or a tummy tuck.  If your doctor is not properly credentialed, I would seek a board certified physician.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck is very safe.

+2

Hi.

Just for peace of mind, I would go to a different place for my tummy tuck.  Your experience with liposuction is very unusual and usually preventable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Shock after Liposuction

+2

Based on the information you have given, your surgeon will want a complete medical work up, and a letter stating your health from your primary care physician.  Anesthesia will require a number of test prior to your surgery, as well.  You may not be a candidate for surgery at this time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Shock after Liposuction

+2

If you truly had a life threatening event after liposuction, many things should be worked out in an in-person consultation before considering a tummy tuck.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.

Went into shock after lipo will it happen again after Tummy Tuck

+1

I am not sure exactly what happened during your first surgery. It sounds like perhaps the IV was not connected correctly. It sounds like not enough fluid was given during surgery. It is extremely unlikely that you Would go into shock during your tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Please consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist as to exactly what happened during your last surgery to prevent it from happening again. Good luck with your surgery. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS