If I Cover my Four Wk TT Scar Can I Use a Sunbed?

I'm going on a cruise 7wks after a TT I'm healing really well,can I cover my tummy area an use a sunbed before I go. I don't plan to spend any length of time in the sun but I find I don't burn if I have used a sunbed for a couple of wks before I go away

Tanning Bed After Tummy Tuck

+1

I strongly do not suggest that you allow your scar exposure to the sun at anytime. Generally speaking it takes anywhere from 12-18 months for the scar maturation phase to be completed. Throughout that time there is a progression in the scar and it tends to fade to a light pink color. It at anytime during this phase the scar gets exposed to any sun or tanning bed you run a high risk for hyperpigmentation of the scar. This begin said, you have come this far with surgery, and recovery and I would hate for you to have unfavorable aesthetic outcome this far down the road.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

Fadi Chahin MF, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Tanning beds after a tummy tuck

+1

I strongly recommend against any tanning of your incisions for at least six months ideally a year after a tummy tuck.  Furthermore, I generally recommend against tanning beds altogether as they are aweful for your skin.  That beig said, if you must use one, make sure that you cover the incisions conpletely so they are not being tanned.

Tanning after tummy tuck

+1

Tanning or use of ultraviolet light tanning beds can lead to hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the scars until the scars are no longer pink or red.  This may 3-6 months or more.  To fully protect the scars at this stage during tanning, you should apply zinc ointment, like life guards use.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

+1

Healing scars may allegedly cause darkening when they are tanned early in the healing phase. Covering the scar with proper clothing or a sun block should give adequate protection. Best wishes, enjoy your cruise.