Is This Normal Puckering 6 Days Post-op from Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had my tummy tuck 6 days ago, and I noticed above the incision line I'm really worried about it. Will it go away or will I be stuck with this look?

Tummy tuck

+2

Do not be concerned. Most abdominoplasties have puckering immediately post-op. The puckering will subside with time. Most is usually gone in 4-6 weeks, but some may persist until internal sutures dissolve at 3-4 months.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Skin Puckering after abdominoplasty

+2

Looking at the photo it looks like some of the internal sutures were tightened slightly more than the skin dermal sutures.   This is fairly common as the skin of the upper area needs to be mobilized towards the midline to avoid lateral fullness or a dog ear.  This creates the potential for skin pleats.  With careful and meticulous stitching this can be minimized.   Most of the time these internal sutures will dissolve with time.  Massaging the area after two to three weeks will help it dissipate over the next month.  There is a small dog ear on the lateral part of the incision.  This likely will not disappear with time and will probably need to be excised. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Skin Puckering 6 Days after Tummy Tuck

+2

While it may not look right, this is common and will most likely resolve in a few weeks as the skin takes a new shape and swelling improves.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Is This Normal Puckering 6 Days Post-op from Tummy Tuck?

+2

Although this doesn't look very appealing, it is not unusual and will resolve. Were you to have been awake and aware during the procedure, you might have seen just before the closure that the bottom part of the skin was a gently curved but almost straight line, while the upper part was almost a semi-circle, with, therefore, a considerably longer length. Hence the puckering, pleating, or gathers. Were this cloth it would be permanent, but it is skin and the skin remodels as it heals. Very occasionally a scar revision could be needed after 6 months or so, but most of these do well and even out as they heal.

Thank you for your question, all the best. 

+1

“Puckering” and other types of incision line irregularities are commonly seen after tummy tuck surgery surgery during the first few weeks/months post op.   You will find that this appearance  will improve significantly on a weekly/monthly basis ( don't check it on a daily basis).

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Puckering of Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

The puckering of the tummy tuck incision that you see here at 6 days is likely normal and should resolve with time.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Puckering 6 days post op tummy tuck

+1

Puckering of skin 6 days after tummy tuck is not unusual. It may take several weeks for it to flatten out. Generally the skin will relax and find its normal shape. I hope this helps you.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon