How Common is Breast Asymmetry Among Women?

Hello, I am trying to find out what is the percentage of women who have asymmetric breasts and what would be the average difference in breast size for women? I have right one size C cup and left one size B cup. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Every woman's breasts are asymmetrical to some extent

Every woman's breasts are asymmetrical, but it is a matter of being able to detect the asymmetry. Some women have just minor differences that can't even be measured by cup size, while others have a difference of several cup sizes (e.g. left is an A and the right is a C). It sounds like you have asymmetry that isn't as severe and most likely quite common. 

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Breast Asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

The majority of women, to some degree.

The vast majority of women have some degree of breast asymmetry.This asymmetry occurs for a variety of reasons.It can be related the volume of the breasts or, in some cases, to the shape of the breasts.In some cases, asymmetry may be related to the position of the nipple areola complexes, while, in other cases, it may be related to deformities of the underlying chest wall.
Regardless of the cause, a cup size difference isn’t an unusual finding.When this problem is encountered, a variety of surgical options are available to treat the problem.
If you’re concerned about breast asymmetry, it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Breast asymmetry

Some degree of asymmetry is almost universal, although it is uncommon to have enough asymmetry to warrant differential implants. Since you have a cup size difference between the two sides, you would benefit from differential implants. This would go a long ways towards a visually similar result. They may not be exactly the same, but with more volume, perceived differences in the breasts will lessen.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

3701 S Clarkson St
Englewood, CO 80113

Extremely Common

Asymmetry is definitely the norm for women. One breast is always different in shape or size than the other. The only problem is when the asymmetry is very apparent, which could cause embarrassment for the woman affected. You can get breast augmentation or a reduction surgery to balance out your breasts.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Breast asymmetry among women is much more common than perfect breast symmetry

Thank you for your question. I cannot give you a proven percentage of women with significant breast asymmetry based on controlled clinical studies. I can tell you that one cup size breast asymmetry is quite common in the normal population of people. In 31 years of practicing plastic surgery I don't believe I have ever seen perfectly symmetrical breasts. One cup breast asymmetry can often be corrected with a lift on the larger side and if enlargement is desired breast implants on both sides.There is an example of correction of asymmetry on the last patient photograph in the attached article on breast implants for tuberous breast deformity

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Breast asymmetry is common

Most patients have some degree of breast asymmetry, although asymmetry of one or more cup sizes is less common.  There are many options to correct the asymmetry you have described including enlarging the smaller breast only with an implant, enlarging both breasts with different size implants, and reducing the larger breast.  Your board-certified plastic surgeon will explain your options, and help you decide on the procedure of choice for you.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

7 Hopkins Road
Williamsville, NY 14221

Breast asymmetry is common

Breast asymmetry is incredibly common because the body is not symmetrical. The degree of asymmetry you refer to, C on one side and B on the other, is regularly seen. See a plastic surgeon who can explain the options for reduction of the larger breast, augmentation of the smaller one, or a combined approach as there is more than one way to handle this issue, depending on your preferences.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Breast asymmetry is the rule rather than the exception.

When it comes to breasts, the vast majority are uneven. It is more common that they are aymmetric rather than symmetric.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Breast asymmetry is common

I cannot find any statistics to quote to answer this question, but I would venture to say that slight differences in breast size and shape is extremely common if not universal. Almost every woman I see has the tendancy for her bra to ride towards one breast, meaning that one is larger than the other. It is unusual for there to be a difference of a whole cup size, but not unheard of. As plastic surgeons, we work to make things as symmetric as possible, but no one starts out perfectly even.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

970 Dewing Avenue
Lafayette , CA 94549