What Is The Injection Depth of Restylane at the Lips? 3 Months Later I Still Have Vertical Lines.

Could someone please tell me what the depth of the injection of Restylane for the lips is? Would the injection be subcutaneous, or deeper? I'm currently having Restylane injections around the lip line and even 3 months after injection, I have vertical lines on the lips from the Restylane which I never had before. You can see lumps and bumps from the Restylane. Other people I see that have the Restylane injections for the lips do not have these visible lumps and bumps.

+2

Restylane and Juvederm are thin fillers meant to be injected intra-dermally or in the dermis of the skin itself.  Dilute Botox, Dysport or Xeomin is more effective, IMHO, for reducing vertical lines around the mouth.  I have used neurotoxins for this purpose for over 15 years with great results.  

Restylane best for lip border and volume rather than vertical lines

+2

Botox works great on the vertical lines that occur from normal talking and pursing the lips. A dermal filler such as restylane can enhance the shape and volume of the lips but is not great for the small vertical lip lines and injection in this area frequently can cause bumps.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

How deep to inject Restylane

+2

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm are injected into the skin at the level of the mid to deep dermis. Superficial injections are avoided to prevent visible white, yellow, or blue bumps. Blanching, dimpling, or the raising of the skin in the area of the injection indicates that the injection was too superficial. Deeper injections result in less than optimal correction of the area. . Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Depth of Restylane

+2

Restylane should be injected into the dermis of the skin. See the link below to see a diagram of what this means. It's a mid-depth level of the skin so that it's used as a filling agent. Injecting it too deep means you don't get enough of the volumizing effect that you want, like in the lips. Lumps and bumps usually means the Restylane was injected too shallow or in dots rather than a threading method. Injection techniques vary by injector and training, but most experienced injectors will do a combination of what's best for each patient and desired outcome. If you aren't happy with what you are experiencing, consult your injector or find another one. If you know people who have good lips from fillers, ask them who they go to - nothing is as good as a referral from someone who is happy!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Depth of Restylane at the Lips

+2

It is unfortunate that you had a side effect with Restylane. This is a a popular filler used around the lips intra--dermally. So it is injected into the middle layer of the skin called dermis. If the appropriate amount of the filler is used and injected into a correct  skin layer, then resulting complications such as lumps and bumps are very rare. Therefore, if you are seeing these problems, please see your practitioner. There are ways to reverse some of these issues with hyaluronidase injections. Take care and good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist

Restylane and injection techniques in the lips

+1

Restylane is used to fill or plump up lips - and help with the surrounding lip lines, IF injected correctly into the vermillion border. You shouldn't really have lumps, but a smooth plane of product. Following up with your provider should provide you with some massage and/or additional product to help reduce the lines.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane Bumps

+1

Restylane is supposed to be injected into the mid dermis.  If it is injected too superficial, then you can see lines in the area.  The good news is this can be erased with hyaluronidase.  Hyaluronidase dissolves the restylane and once gone can be re-injected into the right area.  Dr. Halem

Monica Halem, MD

Bumps and lines after Restylane

+1
It is hard to say precisely where a material is placed, as it depends on a number of factors. Ideally, it would be placed in the middle of the skin so as to improve your lines. Lumps or bumps, while vexing, will eventually disappear. Hyaluronidase can help them go more quickly. However, your first resource is always the physician who placed the material for you.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Restyalen for the lips

+1

To correct the vertical lip lines the filler has to be injected actually into the dermis of the skin. Some people with thin skin do better with softer filler like Juvederm for those lines. Also the technique used can lead to lumps, for that reason threading technique is preferable for the liens rather than the dot method

Julio Garcia, MD

Injection depth with restylene

+1

This depends on what you want to accomplish.The vertical lines usually lower dermis and if you want to augment the soft tissue then in a plane just below the dermis.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon