Why Are Restylane Injections (Undereye Hollows) So Expensive?

It's usually recommended that 2 syringes are used per eye; $1000 per syringe. Why is restylane so expensive? Is appears cheaper and more convienent to get an under eye implant atleast the results will be permanent where as with restylane you'll have to come back approximately every 6 months to 1 year for injections. Someone please help, I need undereye hollows filled but I can't afford $3000-4000 for restylane injections.

Those figures seem a bit pricey!

While we charge more on the line of $450 to $550 a syringe, I rarely use two syringes per eye area.  Generally, one will suffice and overdoing it will only lead to issues if you aren't satisfied.

My recommendation is to go slowly initially and see how you like it.  You can always do more in the future.  Now, if four syringes were tackling the face areas that might be understandable, but to just do the under eye hollows, that could even be too much unless you need quite a bit of correction. 

As for the implants, they have a pretty awful track record.  They don't stay in place very often and when your facial structure ages they can look odd as they have no ability to be redone as with fillers like Restylane, Juvederm or Perlane.  That makes them a challenge if you change over time (which everyone does!). 

Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane injections for tear troughs are very cost effective

Hi.   It seems some of the information you were given is not correct:

1)  Almost nobody needs more than one syringe per eye.  In fact the secret of success in this area is to inject tiny amounts, and to inject deeply under the muscle.  Many people just need ONE syringe for BOTH eyes.

2)  In Manhattan (which is a very expensive place), we never charge more than $2000 for treatment of tear troughs (under eyes), and usually less.

3)  Because this area does not move (unlike the lips, for example), Restylane under the eyes can easily last three years.

4)  Most important, with skillful technique Restylane is really safe.  Avoid tear trough implants.  Few surgeons use them because they have a lot of problems.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Restylane and tear troughs

Every practice has a different price but are often very competitive when it comes to dermal fillers. If you're visiting with a reputable and well-known provider and practice that does a lot of volume, you may see slightly better pricing. Do some research in your area as well for reputable providers.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane prices

Fees vary.  My fee is lower and I think that you might want to comparison shop to verify that other skilled injectors in your area are in the same price range.  All of the cosmoceuticals and injectibles cost plenty for the doctor to purchase from the manufacturer and, actually, the supplement for his time and expertise isn't terribly high.  I personally find the notion of 4 syringes in a single sitting for the lower eyelids to be high.  You haven't posted a photograph but generally I use 1-2 syringes for this area, so this is another issue that you should resolve by additional consultations.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Price for Restylane

The price per syringe is set by the doctor. In my practice it is rare that I use the entire syringe for the tear trough area, and have never used two full syringes. If you are requiring that much, then a tear trough implant and surgery would certainly be the way to go.

Julio Garcia, MD

Restylane Under the Eyes

Restylane under the eyes can lead to dramatic improvement in your overall appearance.  This is generally recommended over eye implants depending on your goals.

Cost will depend on multiple factors--the most important being the skill of the injector, your geographic location, any rebates offered by the manufacturer, and cost of the product.  Be wary of any deals that seem too good to be true, as you often get what you pay for.

In my experience, Restylane will typically last 1-1.5 years in the undereye area.   I tend to be more conservative to avoid having my patients look like they've had something done.  Depending on how much product you need to volumize this area, I sometimes start with one syringe and add additional product later.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Why is restylane so expensive under the eyes

Restylane or any injectable is expensive when it is purchased from a reliable person. The exact price of the procedure varies from 700 to 1000 per syringe. These injections are really intricate and require deep placement of the material.  I like to place these injections beneath the muscle in order to avoid lumps and bumps and discoloration.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane cost for under eye area

The price of restylane, or any cosmetic procedure, depends on multiple factors, including doctor's experience and reputation, geography, demand in your area, and cost of the product to your doctor. I would make sure to choose a doctor with experience in injecting this area.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Cost of Restylane

First, cost of Restylane injections will vary. For undereye hollows (and really any areas, but particularly this area) I would recommend you see a physician who has a good amount of experience filling this area. Cost will depend on several factors: the experience and level of the person injecting, the city or place in which you live, any rebates available by the company, and cost of the product injected. Restylane isn't a cheap product to buy for physicians, plus our time and experience, and other overhead expenses, equals the cost of the injection.

I do NOT recommend undereye implants. Even though this seems like a good idea at first, your body will naturally change over the years, including your face, and particularly under the eyes. If your face changes, and you have permanent implants in, your body will contort around them and you can end up seeing the implants through the skin, and worse, looking deformed. I've taken out many, many implants over the years because the body just isn't able to age properly around them and so many people look strange after a few years. Fillers are such a better option because they can be changed and adjusted to put in in different spots as the body structure changes.

Finally, I really wouldn't say you are looking at $3-$4k. Under the eyes, I usually start with one syringe, and then add a second one in a few months later. Stacking the product helps it last longer, and under the eyes, Restylane really can last up to a year because it moves less than the lips or NLF lines. I would suggest you see a physician or a few for consults and go over your questions and concerns and pricing. This might assuage many of your concerns and help you determine what's going to be best for you.

Restylane prices

The fee for restylane will vary around the country.  There are several ways to treat the lower lid region: sometimes surgical and sometimes filler, and sometimes a combination.  Fat grafting ti also an alternative.