Why Didn't Restylane Work In My Lips? Should I Go For Another Syringe?

I'm 22, Asian, my lips are pretty full already, but I've always wanted a larger top lip-had 1 syringe of Restylane injected last week. It really hurt. My lips looked great for two days. On the third day, I woke up and they had completed deflated. They look exactly like my natural lips. I know this because I took pics before the procedure and each day following. The doctor says I should come back for a second syringe, but will it make a difference? it really hurt and was expensive...

Restylane and lip fullness

+1

Sometimes people need more product - without knowing how much augmentation you're specifically looking for it's hard to answer your question. More product will certainly make your lips bigger. Icing and topical numbing can help with the pain, for sure.

Restylane in the lips

+1

It is not common for Restylane to last that short a period of time, if it was injected deeply, it can last shorter, but if you looked good right away, then it likely was not done too deeply. I am unsure whether it would be good to have more if that has been your experience

Julio Garcia, MD

+1

Sounds more like a case of needing more volume not an issue that the Restylane went away in a few days.  IMHO, Restylane and Juvederm work great as fillers to add volume to thin lips.  However, if the lips require additional volume, Alloderm Lip Implants are the gold standard offering soft, supple, plump lips that last over 7 years.  The most import factor in Lip Augmentation, IMO, is that the MD performing the Lip Augmentation understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty (and lip proportion) for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face...and lips.

Lip fillers

+1

If you like the way it looked two days later after injection ( often maximally swollen), chances are you need more filler. It didn't go away, it probably was not enough.

It all depends on where it was placed and the technique

+1

Restylane is very dependent upon who places it in your lips and if you have an injector who places it more on the area between your lips and nose rather than in the lips it can essentially disappear.  On the other hand, the swelling you had my have just been that - swelling.  I always have my patients look at their lips immediately after the procedure so they can see what it looks like BEFORE the swelling starts to happen as it will be distorted within minutes of the procedure and that will last for days. 

As for whether a syringe is too little or too much, that totally depends on the makeup of your lips and anatomy.  Generally speaking I divide one (1cc) syringe between the upper and lower lip and that is fine, but some folks need more, some do well with less.  I would seek a second opinion.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Problematic Restylane Lip Augmenation

+1

Several items in your question raise red fags:

- vanishing  "Restylane"

-painful treatment 

The treatment should be painless and demonstrable. Unless you were injected with either water or saline, which would be absorbed, Restylane would remain and an increase in lip volume should be obvious. 

Something to thInk about. 

Restylane for lips

+1

1 syringe of restylane in the lips should have made your lips much more luscious and plump. A full syringe in your lips would have actually been too much. I wouldn't go for another syringe and get another consultation.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Why Restylane did not work in your lips

+1

I agree that one full sized syringe of Restylane (1.0 cc) is too much for use in the upper lip alone without your seeing way too much of an increase, let alone no improvement. Perhaps your doctor used a smaller, touch-up sized syringe (0.5 cc). Normally, the smaller sized syringe should not be very expensive. Something is clearly not right here so I would recommend against returning to the same physician. The video link below shows the results of my injecting my wife’s lips with one full sized syringe of Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

One syringe of Restylane should be more than enough for upper lip.

+1

Hi.

Something is off about your story. Pain is eliminated with dental blocks.  And there is no way that filler could disappear in two days.  The result you saw was probably swelling.  I would suggest getting another opinion before you go back for more of the same.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It would be so much easier to help you with a photograph.

+1

Naomi

There is no way that 1 ml of Restylane could be placed just in your upper lip and for the lip to be completely deflated 3 days later.  Honestly no one will look right if an entire 1 ml syringe in placed into an upper lip.  This would result in an upper lip so large that even an adult entertainer would be embarrassed by the appearance.  I treat a number of executives and actresses.  Typically 1 ml is used to treat both the upper and lower lip with more volume placed in the lower lip.  The lower lip should always be at least a bit bigger than the upper lid for natural results.  Should you go back and get another syringe of Restylane?  How about posting photographs to help up answer this?  I would encourage you to go see your doctor to review before and after photos.  If the doctor did not take these pictures then you are getting treatment in the wrong place.