How Many Inches Are Lost with Lipo?

In 5 weeks I schedualed beneilli breast lift, augmentation, and liposuction abs/flanks. I am 30 yr old, 5’6”, 135 lbs, 34B, 27.5, 36, small frame, athletic. lost approx 95lbs and kept off for 10 yrs no children yet. looking to achieve body sculpting of upper abs, above bellybutton, an area which won't go away with D&E. Flank area to make waist smaller goal 25inch. Am I unrealistic looking for 2.5inch drop after lipo?

Change in inches or clothing size after liposuction

+4

The difference before and after surgery is highly variable with liposuction.

There are patients whose dress size stays exactly the same, just clothes fit much better. Often underlying muscle structure or bone structure minimizes the change in clothing size (or inches).

Some patients drop 4 dress sizes, particularly patients who are shorter, heavier set and have tight skin enabling more aggressive procedures.

It is better not to be fixated on a dress size or inch measurement, or you might be disappointed, for the reasons above.

Quantitating "lost inches" with Potential Effectiveness of Liposuction

+2

Liposuction does not directly correlate with an inherent ability to remove a X number of inches off your waist. Rather, it is a contouring tool that will plane the fat under the skin to allow the skin to drape closer to the underlying muscles.

To best get an idea of how much fat it can remove off your waist , pinch the skin (and fat there) and realize you are pinching a DOUBLE fold. So, liposuction will not be able to remove more than half the amount pinched.

Hope this helps.

Dr. P. Aldea

Clothing size is hard to predict after liposuction

+2

Liposuction is a contouring tool to shape and sculpt difficult areas such as the side of the thigh, abdomen and hip. It can be difficult to correlate clothing size and waist size after liposuction. Shape and profiles can improve nicely, though you should not expect to have a certain waist or clothing size after. Those expectations are not realistic. Waist size is most often determined (after ideal weight and fitness has been reached) by overall structural body shape, the distance from the rib to the hip or pelvis, and the hip and chest size. Some simply have a shorter torso which liposuction cannot alter.

Best of luck.

Think in Terms of Contour Improvement Instead of Inches for Liposuction

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to think in terms of inches and dress size when they undergo liposuction. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to reliably predict postoperative measurements with these procedures. For this reason, it’s important to think in terms of contour improvement instead of inches. Surgeons can ultimately impact shape but not necessarily dimensions with liposuction.

In your case, it might be possible to accomplish your aesthetic goals. Unfortunately after a 95 pound weight loss, loose skin may represent a problem as well. Under these circumstances a skin resection may be necessary.

It’ important to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon so you totally understand your options and what can be realistically be accomplished.  

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Inches Lost with Liposuction

+1

It would be difficult to know exactly how many inches would be lost since every body type and every procedure are unique to each patient.  However, patients should expect a dramatic difference in the circumference of the areas being treated.  Remember, the thickness of the area is what is reduced.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Losing inches with liposuction

+1
It is important to convey the amount of desired fat reduction in the waistline area to your plastic surgeon. What I look to accomplish in this surgery is removing enough fat to achieve an acceptable improvement. The goal reshaping the area to produce a positive change and measurements or dress sizes are not the foremost consideration in and of themselves. Body dynamics and the shape of the torso play a major role in measurements.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction can change your shape, no guarantee of change in measurements

+1

Liposuction should be viewed as a contouring or sculpting procedure. Removing fat between the muscle and the skin can shape areas of fullness that persist in spite of diet and exercise. It is impossible to predict how many inches you can lose with this surgery.

Also, you are to be congratulated on your weight loss and on maintaining your healthy weight for 10 years! I want to make the point that often, massive weight loss leaves loose skin and that liposuction alone will not correct that. I am sure that a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery will have addressed any excess skin during your consultation and that this was factored into your surgical plan, but I want to make sure that you are aware of the limitations of liposuction in handling stretched out skin.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Inches are lost with Liposuction

+1

No your goal is within reach but there are never guarantees in any surgery. I feel that you'll be able to obtain the size you wish. Regards.

Loss of inches from liposuction

+1

Liposuction should be viewed as a body sculpting procedure. Several factors determine how effective liposuction will be including your body habitus, the amount of skin elasticity you have and the amount of excess fatty tissue you currently possess. There is no accurate correlation of how many inches can be removed in conjunction with the amount of fat removed. Patients who tend to do best are those who diet and exercise and have realistic expectations of what can be achieved from their surgery.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Loss of inches or dress sizes following liposuction

+1

Unfortunately there are no formulas for calculating or correlating loss of inches with volume of fat aspirated during a liposuction procedure. Your resulting inches is a complex result of factoring your musculoskeletal structures, skin laxity, and adipose tissue layer.