Swelling Vs Seroma After Liposuction

2 weeks after abdominal liposuction, I have developed a vary obvious large pocket of fluid on entire left side. Will it go away on it's own?

It seems to be getting bigger (in area) with time. What should I do?

Seroma after liposuction rare complication.

+2

Hi.

Sounds like you have a seroma after liposuction. This should be aspirated right away. It may require several aspirations. If not treated aggressively, it can become a lump of internal scar tissue.

Fluid pocket after liposuction

+2

From the description and timing of swelling, it appears you have a seroma. It will not go away on its own. If it seems to be getting larger, contact your surgeon to remove the fluid by aspiration.

There is a risk of the subcutaneous fluid becoming infected or development of a bursa. Sometimes the fluid can recur and require more than one visit to your surgeon.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling vs seroma after liposuction

+2

The diagnosis on the information you have offered is SEROMA. Treatment is IMMEDIATE return to the surgeon, NOW. You do not want an infected seroma. It needs drainage ASAP. Regards.

Seroma after Liposuction

+2

A large, unprovoked fluid collection 2 weeks after surgery is a seroma unless proven otherwise. Although the body will absorb small fluid collections, large ones need to be evacuated before they become infected or form a permanent bursa cavity.

You REALLY needs to see your surgeon and have him / her address this situation.

Dr. P. Aldea

Seroma management

+1

The vast majority of surgeons will treat a fluid collection by repeatedly draining it via aspiration or by placement of a drain for persistent fluid collections. The rationale is that the collection can potentially form a permanent cyst like collection or it could get infected. This is the dogma. However, I have general surgery colleagues who tell me that they have left these alone and they have resorbed. Clearly there are variations in treatment. Seek out your surgeon and proceed with his/her recommendations.

Fluid under skin after liposuction

+1

Hi there-

Most likely, you have developed a seroma. It is very important that you see your surgeon soon for appropriate management. Make sure you are following their postoperative instructions in every detail. 

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Swelling after liposuction.

+1

It sounds from your description that you have a seroma. See your surgeon and he can remove the fluid with a needle and syringe or making a small opening in your incision to let the fluid out.