Can implants still drop after six months? REALLY worried. (photo)

I had my surgery performed July 14, 2013, going from a small B cup to a D. It has been little over six months now. My left implant dropped about two months ago, but the right is still lying high on my chest, forming a sort of cone/point shape and is slightly harder than the left breast. I'm concerned, whether this is normal or something I should be worried about. I exert my right arm much more than the left with the job I have. I'm unable to consult with my plastic surgeon in person, because I moved.

Possible but maybe not likely.

+1
In most cases it should not take 6 months or longer for a breast implant to settle into its final position. It may be that scar tissue has formed around the implant in such a way to prevent it from dropping into place. That said, there is still a chance that the implant will settle, especially since it took your left breast 4 months to fall into place.

Even if you cannot consult in person with your plastic surgeon, you may be able to connect online or over the phone to discuss your options. The bottom line is that if you are worried, and your concern is completely reasonable at this stage, you owe it to yourself to seek help and guidance so you can make sure you get the outcome you envisioned.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can implants still drop after six months? REALLY worried.

+1
Thank you for your photo and concern and congratulations on your surgery.  Implants typically settle anywhere from 3-6 months but everyone is different and some patients can experience some slight change within a year but anything significant is unlikely. Most likely you will need your pocket released, but go see a board certified plastic surgeon for a definitive answer and options that will be best for you.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry at 6 months

+1
It is very unlikely that the right implant will settle at this time. There is no harm in waiting longer (other than trying to get clothes to look right).  A release of the capsule on the right side is likely going to be needed. Be sure to ask any surgeon you select about adding a piece of Alloderm or Strattice to the pocket lining to decrease the likeliness of a recurrence. Good luck with your search. 

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

+1
Sorry but you need a revision on the right capsule breast. Best to find a new local PS but there will be a fee involved. Good Luck. 

Implant Settling

+1
Thank you for your picture.  It is unlikely that you will have a positive change in your implants at this point.  You have two different pocket sizes and shapes.  You will need a revision.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Implant High

+1
The right breast implant may drop in the next six months. If not a very small procedure can be performed to lower the implant.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Can Implants Drop After Six Months

+1
At six months, your breast implants should have pretty much settled.  Any correction at this point is likely surgical.  An in person exam would be required to determine the next steps and discuss your options.  Then you would need to decide how much the asymmetry bothers you.  In many cases, the symmetry can be improved with a small surgery through the same incision to lower the elevated implant.  If this is all that is required, then the recovery is usually very smooth - even more so than the original surgery.  However, as stated, a full examination would be required to assess which procedures would be set for your condition.

Good Luck. 

David Shafer, MD

Breast Enhancement

+1
At around 6 months if the implant has not settled than it probably will not. Even if it does not you dont have to do anything if you are ok with it. The treatment is surgery to complete the release of the muscle

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Breast augmentation dropping

+1
It is difficult to make a diagnosis over the internet, but it may take more time, up to a year, for the implants to settle in their final position. Massage may decrease possibility of capsular contracture.

The external scar can be managed with silicone patches, Mederma, and massage.

Consult your surgeon and be patient.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
It's possible but rare for them to change much after 6 months.  I would be concerned that you could have a capsular contracture.  You should see a PS in your area if you can't see your PS.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)