Will Tricare cover any of my procedures or medication for plastic surgery?

Hello I am in Germany,in the US Military and looking for a doctor to perform a Breast Lift with Implants and a Tummy Tuck.
 How would tricare play in this? Do they cover the medication if I take it to the base pharmacy? Does anyone know if Tricare covers anything pertaining to these procedures?

Insurance not for cosmetic procedures

+1
Unfortunately, insurance does not cover elective cosmetic procedures.  Medication coverage typically depends on your insurance plan, with regards to your deductible, total vs partial coverage,etc. check with them about medication coverage specifics.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I cant imagine any insurance company covering a purely aesthetic surgery regardless of where you are, that being said it cant hurt to try

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

BBA

+1
I think it would be highly unlikely, but I don't live or work in Germany.  You should call Tricare and ask them.  They are the only ones that can tell you for sure.  Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Insurance companies differ in coverage.

+1
Most insurance companies include a list of "uncovered conditions or procedures" to inform policy holders of what options they may have.  I have found that Tricare is often more lenient than other insurance providers about some of the covered procedures because of specific uniform and physical requirements that they have on military personnel. 

The best thing to do is see your surgeon and ask them to pre-authorize your procedure.

Good luck.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

+1
The short answer is "No".  Insurance will not cover any procedures which are deemed cosmetic in nature or not "medically necessary".  In some cases the medication will be covered as they normally do not ask for a diagnosis code for medications covered by your insurance. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1
It is not unusual for prescriptions to be covered by health insurance companies; however, for accurate information, best to check with your local pharmacy. Best wishes.