Can I Get Implants Removed While Pregnant

They are causing me a lot of health problems since shortly after getting them. I just realized that all my unexplainable symptoms aligned with that timeframe. Now, my breasts hurt and I just want them gone, I'm having anxiety over this. I am 18 weeks pregnant, can I get them removed now? Is local anesthesia an option?

Implant Removal and Pregnancy

+1
I would strongly recommend you avoid any elective surgery during pregnancy.  It is best not to risk anything that would add stress while pregnant.  If you feel it is a medical necessity, I suggest you speak with a board certified physician regarding your concerns.

Removing Implants while Pregnant

+1

No, I do not think you should get any type of elective surgery while you are pregnant.  You will be taking a big risk that you do not need to take.

Wait until after you have your baby to undergo surgery just to be safe.

Good Luck!

Breast Implant Removal - Can I Get Implants Removed While Pregnant

+1

That sounds like a really bad idea.

I would not advise an elective procedure on a pregnant woman unless there were some compelling reason to proceed - and removing otherwise uncomplicated and stable breast implants would not be in that category.

If you develop an infection, or increasing pain or swelling, then you may need to undergo a limited and minimal procedure - just enough to address whatever the issue is.

Otherwise, though, I would suggest that you complete your pregnancy, enjoy your (hopefully) health baby, and address the breast implants at another time.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Removing breast implants while pregnant

+1

If your breast implants are standard saline-filled or gel-filled available in the US they are not causing you "a lot of health problems" just by being there and removing them will not resolve these "health problems". In other words there is no medical indication to remove your breast implants and few surgeons will risk a liability lawsuit for doing an elective or non-essential procedure on a pregnant woman even if it's done under local anesthesia, particularly if the patient already feels her implants are causing her health problems when there is no evidence for this. I would wait for the pregnancy and any breast feeding to be completed and then discuss options for removal of the implants. It is also not necessary to remove the capsule around a breast implant during implant removal unless the capsule is demonstrably abnormal. If the incision to put them in was in the inframammary crease it is fairly easy to access the implants with local anesthesia alone. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants during pregnancy

+1

I would not do any elective procedure on a patient during pregnancy. If the implants were infected, that is a different story.  If you are unhappy with having the implants then you will have to wait until after the delivery.

Breast implants

+1

I can not understand why you waited till you are prgnant. Implants can be removed under local anesthesia. The capsule can not be removed.

Surgery is a stress and a trauma even under local anesthesia. I WOULD NOT DO A PURELY ELECTIVE PROCEDURE ON A PREGNANT WOMAN. EVEN THOUGH THE RISKS ARE SMALL, WHY TAKE ANY RISK.???????????????