"Internal Lift" with Breast Explantation?

Ive read through most of the stories on explantation.com and most of the after photos look really nice. Seems like a very popular explant surgeon is Dr. Melmed from Dallas. Ive read some of his patients say he does an "internal lift" by "rearranging breast tissue" & no scars. Im interested in this; his patients look better after implant removal than they did before their BA! I email my surgeons office and asked about this, and they dont really know what is meant by "internal lift". Any ideas?

Internal lift

+1
Once the implant and the scar capsule are removed, dissolvable sutures are used to decrease the base of the breast, increase the projection, and recreate the fold if needed.

Internal lift is simply an internal mastopexy.

+1

When you remove an implant, there is a large space within the breast. By rearranging and suspending the breast tissue, often times the end result is very attractive. This "internal lift" is merely a suspension and rearrangement of the breast tissue to help close the space and support the remaining breast tissue.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Internal Lift

+1

Most patients are able to return to their preoperative state with implant removal. An internal lift or pocket plication can take advantage of the capsule and reposition the breast higher.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Internal breast lift with no implants works well.

+1

Hi.

Of course, it depends on the details of your personal anatomy, but with skilled technique, most patients are very happy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Internal Breast Lift

+1

It is not uncommon for us to try and elevate the breast mound higher on the chest wall after removing the implant.  Usually the results are quite good, but it has a lot to do with selecting the right patient for the procedure.  If you need a lift before having the implant removed or if the implant is really large and has stretched the skin quite a bit, then you will need some external form of lift afterward.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Internal lift

+1

Yes, there are different versions of internal lifting by either rolling breast tissue upwards or simply sewing breast tissue to a higher point on the chest wall internally. It depends upon the patient but this can be a reasonable procedure in the right hands and with the right breast structure

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal - "Internal Lift" with Breast Explantation?

+1

As with many other terms, different words can mean different things to different surgeons, so if you want to know what any specific surgeon does, the best thing is to find out exactly what he means.  You can contact him directly and ask precisely that.

In general, it is possible to elevated and suspend some of the remaining tissue after an explantation (or any other breast tissue) but the degree to which this is possible varies on the individual patient.  A given patient may need to have skin removed and tightened, or some other procedures in order to achieve the greatest degree of elevating the tissue, and maintaining that elevation.

I realize that this may not be as precise an explanation as you'd like, but I hope that it has at least helped a bit.

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS