Implants Were Removed 2 Weeks Ago, and my Nipples Are Caved in

I'm 28yrs-old and i had BA 5 months ago. 2 weeks after surgery when i went to follow up, my PS said, it seemed there might be blood in my left breast, so he removed blood and scar tissues. (left breast)3 month later, Capsule contracted, so I had surgery to remove capsule and replace with new implant. (left breast)1 month later, I was having pain, so removed implants. Now i'm 10 days post explant surgery. My left nipple became dark, flattened, and caved in. Will it come back? it's not necrosis?

Nipple scarring

+4

Your nipples have caved in because of the scarring.  Go to Babies R Us and buy yourself a breast pump for breast feeding and place it arroung the scar several times a day.  This will stretch the scar tissue and pull your nipple out.   Take the pump to your surgeon and have them show you where to place the pump for the best result.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue contracts, deforms the nipple

+2

Your pictures demonstrate a scar contracture in the deep tissues, pulling your nipple/areola inward.  Massage and stretching early on is your best option.  Once the scar forms and deforms the breast it will require surgery to be corrected.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Deformed Nipple

+2

Deformity of the nipple areola is due to multiple surgeries and scarring.

the breast tissue was not repaired in layers underneath the nipple areola thus forming a scar that pulled the nipple areola down and got adherent.

See your plastic surgeon, it can be repaired but I would wait 6-12 months.

Distortion Following Implant Removal

+1

Hematoma formation can have devastating consequences for breast augmentation patients.  In many cases, post-operative bleeding can result in the development of severe capsular contractures resulting in breast distortion.  Under these circumstances, it may be necessary to remove the breast implants and allow healing to progress in the absence of synthetic material. 

It’s not unusual for patients to experience breast distortion following removal of breast implants when severe capsular contractures are present.  Under these circumstances patients are often emotionally devastated by breast distortion and loss of breast volume.

When this situation arises in the immediate post-operative period, it can be difficult to know if this distortion is permanent.  In some cases swelling resolves as tissue remodels over the course of 3-6 months with significant improvement in the aesthetic result. This can often be facilitated with massage of the area.  In other cases, the deformity may be permanent and secondary surgery may be indicated.  This may require release or resection of breast scar tissue.

If you’re concerned about the appearance of your breasts following implant removal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Nipples Caved in after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The “caved in” appearance of the nipple/areola is likely related to underlying scar tissue causing the nipple/ areola  to adhere to the underlying tissue.  This may slowly resolve with massage and maturation of the underlying scar.

I am concerned  about the  description of the left areola being “dark”.

Continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon is indicated;  revisionary breast surgery may become necessary.