What Happens if You Wear a Compression Garment That is Too Tight After a Full TT and Lipo?

I had a full TT and lipo of the flank 3 weeks ago. I ordered another 2nd stage compression garment because I felt my other one was too loose. Naturally I ordered a smaller size and it seems a little tight. When I sit down my stomach actually creases in the middle with the smaller one. This did not happen with the larger one. It's not so uncomfortable that I can't breathe but it sure is VERY snug. Is this okay to wear or should I go back to the larger one?

Compression garment too tight

+2

A compression garment should be snug but not tight. It is supposed to manage swelling. Anything too tight can compromise blood flow. See your plastic surgeon. 

Compression Garment Too Tight

+1

Any concerns of the compression garment being too tight or not fitting properly should be addressed in person with the plastic surgeon.  The compression garment could cause a burn or pressure necrosis if too tight.

Compression garment

+1

These compression garments are necessary for structural reconstruction after liposuction but tightness to the extreme can do more harm than good 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Compression Garments Not Without Risk

+1

Compression garments are commonly recommended after aesthetic procedures to manage swelling, fluid accumulation and for support/comfort.  While they help to reduce problems and with recovery, there is scant evidence that they improve the aesthetic outcome.  There are some risk to wearing an ill-fitting or tight compression garment.  Creases can form in the skin which become adherent and result in a contour irregularity.  This is common in the adominal area when you sit and creases occur as you are describing.  If too tight and worn while drains are in, they can cause skin death due to too much pressure.  If your garment is causing skin creases, I would recommend going to a size that fits without causing skin creases.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Compression Garment

+1

Hi Lhasara,

Go back to the loose garment until you have checked with your PS. Even after three weeks, a too tight garment could cause problerms depending on the area of compression:

• Too much elastic tightness in the TT area below the belly button could lead to poor circulation in the skin and healing problems.
  • Fluid collections (seroma) might occur if the compression is not properly distrubuted.
  • If the garment extends onto the thighs and is too constrictive, it could affect the circulation in the veins.

When in doubt, always call your PS for advice.

Good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Post op compression garments

+1

Compression postoperative garments should be never to tight  because lymphatic drainage can be blocked .

Thanks for your question,  take care  Dr. Vega  Tijuana,Mexico

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment That is Too Tight After a Full TT

+1

I would favor going back to the looser one. After TT your sensation is diminished and you could actually cause injury because your protective sensation is not normal. you might check with your surgeon about using Spanx or some other mildly compressive garment at this stage.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.