If my Doctor Saves my Leftover Juvederm Vial, Do I Have to Pay for my Next Injection?

I bought a vial of Juverdem in July, I had about a quater of a vial left, went back in August and after the procedure was told it was another $150.00 plus tax (NJ) for the procedure. I paid $750.00 plus $150.00 for 2 area's of the Juvie to be put in in original appointment. I think this was sneaky and I was mad that they charged me by area (1st time) when it was costly to begin with, any advice please?

Is it usual to have to pay again when having left over Juvederm put in lips 2 weeks later?

Double Jeopardy

+5

Hi JoJo,

If you pay for a syringe of filler, and it is not all used, I agree that you should not be recharged for the remainder at your next visit.  Good luck in the future and be well.

Dr. P

It varies

+3

My policy is to not charge for the remainder of the syringe to be injected. I also charge a flat fee per syringe, no matter what area it is placed. I think that is something that needs to be discussed up front. Please keep in mind that I feel it is most important to pick the right physician rather than shop for the lowest price. The physician you choose is hopefully someone your friends have seen, had a good experience with, and is well qualified to do the procedures. (I personally teach the injections to other physicians for Evolence and Juvederm.)

Steve Weiner, MD

Facial Plastic Surgeon

Destin, Florida

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Leftover Juvederm

+2

Each office has a different fee structure.  We charge by usage on each occasion.  Also, you do not want to store unused juvederm as the efficacy will be compromised.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Leftover Juvederm Vial

+1
Generally, you won't have to pay for your next injection if the leftover syringe is used. However, it may be different where you are. Before you have another treatment, it would be prudent to ask about their policy first.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Prices of Juvederm or Restylane are different in each office.

+1

Some offices may preserve an amount of Juvederm or Restylane that you truly did not need on that day, so that you may use it later. Other offices throw it away and tell you they can't save it. Still other offices may put filler into you where you really do not need it, in order to say they aren't saving or throwing any away. Be careful to pay attention to what is really going on, so that at least you understand the situation.

The prices charged for these treatments are set by each office, and can vary depending on what you are actually being charged for. In some offices, there is a fee for the physician's injection built into the initial purchase of the material. In these offices, it may be standard for them to charge a small injection fee on a second treatment day, since you have already paid for the material, but are taking some of the doctor's time on a different day, for an additional procedure. Some offices charge more for the material to begin with, and roll this type of addtional treatment into their upfront costs. It isn't really a matter of "fairness". It's a matter of knowing what that office feels they are including in their fees. It is good to know and ask about this type of thing.

The unfair part would be if they are truly pulling a bait-and-switch, not having fully informed you of potential costs before you started treatment.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Juvederm re-use

+1

I do not save  juvederm that was already used in a syringe.  It is extremely uncommon for me not to use the entire syringe, but if I do not I then discard it.  There is always a risk that it is accidentally given to the wrong patient, and thus cross contamination. 

The Value of the Service

+1

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing why you did not receive the full treatment/product at the first appointment.  We do not allow patients to "store" their unused product for another visit for a couple of reasons.  First, there are concerns as to how long the product should be stored without compromising the sterility and quality.  This then puts the responsibility on the practice to properly store and keep track of the product.  If a patient returns to use whatever remains, they are receiving a second treatment.  It's the service and skill of injecting the product that should have a monetary value. 

For these reasons and more, we do not offer to hold unused products for a future date or treatment.  However, the exception to this is if and when a patient is experiencing bruising during the initial treatment.  A mutual decision is then reached to finish the treatment once the swelling/bruising has dimnished or resolved.  These situations are few and far in between.  Regardless, patient satisfaction is always a priority.  Being that it appears that you were not informed of the separate charges or had a clear understanding of the policy, it is not good business practice to not waive the fee.  Most importantly, you should discuss this with the practice if you have not done so already.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD