Would a HP implant reduce rippling? (Photo)

I recently had a an implant revision from a saline HP to silicone mod profile implant. Both were under the muscle. At the 2 week mark I started seeing and feeling major rippling on both sides. I think the implant is too wide. Would a HP implant reduce the rippling?

Would a HP implant reduce rippling?

+2
I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have. At this point, 2 weeks out of surgery, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience. Best to evaluate the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed approximately 6 months to one year. Hopefully, with the development of a thicker breast implant capsule,  less rippling/palpability of the breast implant will be present. Ultimately, the use of acellular dermal matrix may be helpful in providing more coverage of the breast implant. Best wishes.

High profile implants often more likely to ripple

+2
Traction ripples, which are the ones on the upper half of the breast, are often worse with high profile so that is not necessarily the solution. Adequate support and coverage are necessary, regardless of implant type. The muscle does not cover the sides and bottom part of the breast so if it is an ongoing issue then an internal bra with something like SERI or Strattice might be considered.

Richard Baxter, MD

High profile will not eliminate rippling

+1
No, a high profile implant will not reduce rippling. Your implants are large and partially under the muscle, however, the majority of the implant is now below the muscle and palpable. I recommend a new technique called Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant rippling

+1
Implant rippling in much more if an issue with saline than silicone implants, so it might be something else. In any case it us rather early to consider further surgery.  Wait a while and if it persists, bring it to your surgeon's attention.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ways to reduce rippling

+1
It is unusual for patients to appreciate more rippling with a silicone implant than with a saline implant. It is usually the other way around. But I suppose it is possible. I doubt that there would be much improvement with changing the silicone moderate profile implant back to a high profile. You would probably have better luck with either tightening the implant pocket or adding fat grafting to the areas of skin where the rippling is occurring. This might be a difficult issue to correct and an exam would be invaluable to help determine exactly what your options might be.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I believe that you should give it time to drop and settle. In your case I don't believe that a larger implant will benefit you but instead it might give you skin laxity and might require a breast lift in the short future.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

+1
Your results look very good in the attached photo. 
Rippling is an interplay between the implant, the pocket and the soft tissue covering it. Sometimes the pocket is too big and placing a larger implant in the pocket can help. In most cases, I feel that the best way to take care of this problem is to do one or both of the following: switch the implant to a highly cohesive gel such as the 410 or Sientra shaped implants and/or fat graft the breast and skin to make it thicker so that it better covers the implant. 
Hope this helps. 

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon