How Much Does Smart Lipo Cost?

Is there a flat Smart Lipo price or do you pay per area? Does the amount of fat you have taken out affect the cost of SmartLipo?

Smart lipo cost in Miami

+15

Seems none of the answers address the question. "How much does Smart Lipo cost?"

Since I've been using the Smart Lipo from its' initial FDA approval in Dec. of 2006, having done over 1500 cases of Smart Lipo, seeing the new generations of each Smart Lipo advance I will answer the question on costs.

I charge per area with a set up fee. I also do most (90%) of my Smart Lipos under local + deep sedation or LMA general anesthesia. The set up fees include the Smart lipo fiber, staff, supplies, anesthesia fees, girdles. This set up fee runs $800 to $1200 depending on the time of surgery. Than I charge per area either $500, if small, to $1000, if larger.

For example: a Complete abdomen (upper + lower or over 8 grids) is 2 areas at $1000 each or $2000. Plus hips (1 area) + back (1 area) = another $2000. Plus set up of $800. Gives a total of $4800. In this example I would liposuction out 2 to 3 liters of melted fat, as a second part to the operation. This resolves the free fatty acids issue.

Post operative lymphatic massages are a separate fee of 5 sessions for $375 to $500.

I hope this gives the questioners an outlook to the fees.

I also after reading the posting responses much give a thanks to Dr Petti in LA for a very detailed description of Smart Lipo. Though not exactly how I do it, her description is very informative.

Thanks for reading.

Smartlipo surgeon's fees for fat melting

+8

Smartlipo is laser-assisted liposuction. The Smartlipo MULTIPLEX (MPX) utilizes a blend of 2 laser wavelengths that have different qualities and functions in terms of both fat melting and skin tightening. I have been performing Smartlipo for over 1 year and the results have been very satisfying for both the patients and for me. There have been 2 upgrades in the computer technology of Smartlipo since my purchase of the Smartlipo machine. The upgrades have permitted the use of more energy, a blend of 2 laser wavelenghts for more effective melting of the fat and more directed and precise treatment patterns for skin tightening.

In my practice, when I perform Smartlipo MPX, the first Phase of every Smartlipo procedure involves melting the fat with a special blend of the 2 laser wavelenghts (after infiltration of tumescent salt water solution with Lidocaine as the anesthetic and epinephrine as the vasoconstricting agent to decreasing bleeding and bruising). The second Phase of the Smartlipo procedure involves very specific skin tightening using 5 x 5 cm grids over areas where the skin requires tightening. The skin is heated to temperatures that cause skin to tighten through interactions with dermal collagen. This is what separates Smartlipo from other methods of liposuction.

The fiberoptic cable that permits the laser light to specifically heat the fatty tissues, is changed to wavelenghts of light that heat the dermis and the amount of heat delivered is not only measured, but the heat rise in the skin is also measured directly in the cable. This temperature elevation in the dermis is what assist the skin shrinkage, and it is important that the temperature guidelines be closely monitored throughout the procedure, not only to get an improved outcome over tradtional and other types of liposuction, but also to prevent over-heating of the skin.

This second phase is what takes time, and not all Smartlipo surgeons take the time to effect the result of skin tightening. I focus on this, as I want my patients to have the best chance possible for skin tightening, since this has always been the rate-limiting step in liposuction, since its inception decades ago. I perform the skin tightening portion of the procedure methodically and scientifically, recording temperatures in each section of the grid pattern.

This is why in my practice, Smartlipo has a higher base cost, as it takes longer and uses technology based on specific laser effects on fatty tissue and skin. Higher technology in any field, has higher price tags. It costs more to fly in a high speed jetliner, like a Concord, than an airbus. The very good news is that Smartlipo uses a very thin fiberoptic cable that is almost imperceptible in terms of being "felt" by the patient, so 1 or 2 anatomical areas of the body, for instance, the common combinations of abdomen and hips, the arms and underarm area, the back and flanks, can be treated under local anesthesia.

Therefore, the operating room charges are much less than liposuction under general anesthesia. There is a saving her in terms of the OR fee. If patients want to have more than 2 large areas of liposuction, then general anesthesia is required, as the amount of lidocaine needed will surpass the safe dosage limits for the patient's weight. Anesthesiology fees and higher operating room fees are associated with large volume liposuction of larger areas or combined anatomical areas being done in a single operation.

I base the Smartlipo fees under local anesthesia, on the number of anatomic areas, usually 2, and also the amount of fat that requires treatment and the amount of skin that requires tightening.

Patients are under the impression that Smartlipo in less expensive in terms of the surgeon's fee, however, if a surgeon, like me, focuses a large portion of the procedure on skin tightening in a gird pattern to get the best outcome using the best technology, then the cost may be higher. An individual that has less fat, needs a smaller area of tightening and therefore the OR time may have a lower cost than a patient that has more fat in the 2 anatomic areas, as the fat melting and skin tightening will take longer.

I hope this is a good explanatiion for the potential patient who is considering Smartlipo, so that they understand that there is a price for the laser technology (it is not a gimmick and there is science backing the results of Smartlipo), and the increased time that I spend on heating the skin after melting the fat, to effect skin tightening. The skin tightening portion of the Smartlipo procedure- to be effective takes time -and I am willing to spend the time for the patient to try to give them the best outcome, using what I have found to be the best technology in my liposuction experience of over 20 years.

Christine A. Petti, MD

"$martLipo" machine costs about $100,000

+7

I posted an answer on RealSelf.com 14 months ago, reviewing "Cool Lipo and Smart Lipo from a surgeon's view." In this answer, I reviewed the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery scientific journal article noted in Dr. Brzowski's article, and appreciate his pointing out his take on this as well. Interestingly, this answer received 20 votes of "helpful" out of 23.

In terms of cost, these fancy "machines" that doctors use commonly go for around 100K, and the SmartLipo machines are in this range. The money to pay for this comes from fees charged to the patient. So, a physician has no choice but to hope that such a machine drives in a lot more business, or else the only way to make up the cost is purely through higher fees. I have taken care of patients that have had burns requiring surgical procedures to repair from these "better" technologies of laser lipolysis and ultrasonic liposuction.

Bottom Line: Judge for yourself. There are numerous patient reports on this website, both pro and con, regarding SmartLipo and other technologies. In my mind, the public does seem to have a love affair with anything that says or rhymes with "Laser." But try to get beyond the marketing stuff as best you can. RealSelf.com is a valuable tool to help you do just that. Hope this helps.

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo is a gimmick. Don't go for it.

+4

Hi! I don't know a single board certified plastic surgeon in Manhattan who uses SmartLipo. So you can draw your own conclusions. It does not produce better results and it is more expensive than tumescent liposuction. In general, avoid any operation tnat has a brand name or a catchy title.

As with all operations, it is the surgeon and not the machine that produces the result. Go to a plastic surgeon and ask to see a lot of before and after pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Cost of Smart Lipo (or any lipo procedure) varies

+4

The price for any liposuction will vary depending on the area and the amount of time required to perform the procedure.

I perform quite a lot of liposuction, but I do not perform SmartLipo and I have no plans to incorporate this procedure into my practice. I have seen absolutely no published medical studies that show any advantage of Smart Lipo to traditional liposuction, but there is a possibility of addtional complications with "Smart Lipo."

When selecting a physician to perform liposuction, be sure to look for a board certified plastic surgeon with admitting privileges to a local hospital. As crazy as this sounds, most physicians performing liposuction are not board certified plastic surgeons, and in many cases, the doctors have absolutely no formal surgical training whatsoever. For some, a weekend course may be the extent of their training.

Even if a physician performs surgery in an accredited O.R. rather than a hospital, hospital admitting privileges are imperative. Be safe, and take your time researching your doctor. Start by asking if they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does Smart Lipo Cost?

+3

Hi, we have the SmartLipo Triplex in both our Tampa and Orlando offices.  There are many answers for and against the technology.  I would just like to say that the most important thing is the doctor performing the surgery.  You can have the best technology in the world but if it is not used correctly, you are not going to get good results.

The benefits of SmartLipo is that it makes it easier to remove the fat, decreases the amount fo bleeding and bruising and stimulates the collagen to improve skin tightening.  The Triplex has the advantage over previous version in that the 1440 wavelength is the most specific wavelength for fat and also procduces the least amount of thermal energy, thus decreasing the chance of burns.

I perform all my SmartLipo under local anesthesia with oral sedation. Patients do great.  When patients want a lot of areas done, we usually break it up over 2 days.  This way it can still be done under local anesthesia and avoid the risks of general anesthesia.

As far as pricing goes, we charge $3500 for one area.  We offer discount packages for multiple areas.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

I charge for time spent in the procedure.

+3

I charge my patients based on the time that I will spend in the procedure.  I think this is the most equitable way to charge for all patients.  I have  a lot of patients that are personal trainers and just need small areas treated and that should be billed differently than some of my other patients that have larger amounts of fat that need removal even if it is in the same anatomic area.

My charges are also based on whether you will need general anesthesia (typically much larger, more extensive cases) or whether you will need only local numbing medicine in my procedure room.

Regional differences in cost are also common.  Utah typically has much lower overhead costs and therefore lower procedure fees.  That's one of the reasons why Utah has become a plastic surgery "tourist attraction".

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How much does Smartlipo cost?

+2

I have been using Smartlipo MPX and Triplex since early 2009, over three years now. Having accumulated a great deal of experience, I find that the latest technical developments using the 1440 wavelength and the Cellulaze SideLase fibers have resulted in excellent outcomes for my patients. 

For example, a woman with some loose skin of the abdomen, a common condition, will not get any skin tightening with tradition liposuction. Using the SmartlipoTriplex with the ThermaGuide, heat can be applied to shrink the skin. The ThermaGuide allows the precise application of heat to the under-surface of the skin since the laser computer registers the instantaneous skin temperature and can be programmed to shut off slightly above the therapeutic range, usually 45-47 degrees Centigrade.

There is a new upgrade to the Smartlipo Triplex, the Cellulaze, used in the long-term treatment of cellulite. Using the Cellulaze side-firing fiber, even more precision in the application of heat is possible, with the same built-in safety features.  The SideLase fiber is directional, allowing heat to be directed primarily to the under-surface of the skin.  At the end of a Smartlipo Triplex procedure, the subdermal skin temperature can be methodically elevated to 45-47 degrees. Skin contraction continues for six months, according to the Cellulaze studies, and should be the same when applied to other areas.

These latest devices are not the same as the old Smartlipo that any doctor could buy. The Cellulaze is being sold only to board-certified plastic surgeons. In the hands of an experienced board-certified plastic surgeons, using ThermaGuide, the chance of experiencing a thermal injury or burn, should be extremely small. 

When used for body contouring, the most important factor is the skill of the surgeon.  I think that Smarlipo Triplex adds an excellent tool in the hands of a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Having twenty years of experience with traditional, vaser ultrasonic and Smartlipo Triplex assisted liposuction, I would say the each is effective in good hands and each has particular applications. 

Smartlipo Triplex and Cellulaze procedures are very well tolerated in the office operating room with oral sedation and no need, in my hands, for any IV or inhalation anesthesia. The patients are comfortable during the procedure and are able to get up and go home with a responsible adult after the procedure.

Because of the multiple steps required, marking, prepping, draping, infiltration of tumescent anesthesia, application of laser energy to the deep and superficial fat layers, removal of the liquefied fat with special non-traumatic cannulas, and then skin heating, this is a tedious and somewhat involved process. It is relatively expensive in terms of time and resources, including the very expensive laser equipment.

We price Smartlipo by area and how much fat will be removed, since larger areas take longer.  However, even small abdomens require all the steps enumerated above and require special care to bring out the underlying anatomy, retain normal skin thickness and tighten the skin. Current pricing as of July, 2012, starts at 4500 for one area, e.g. abdomen, inner or outer thighs, and 6,500 for an area or equivalent to all around the abdomen, waist and flanks. Included is a Cosmetassure cosmetic insurance policy that we purchase for every patient undergoing a covered cosmetic procedure such as liposuction.

Cellulaze treatment for cellulite is 4000 for the first area, bilaterally, then 2500 for each additional area. Treating cellulite all around the thighs is usually three areas, so patient cost is between 4000 and 9,000.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Smart Liposuction cost can vary

+2

Smart liposuction is not for everyone but if you are a good candidate the cost can vary from state to state. In our cosmetic center, the cost ranges from $2000 for the first area and then $500 for each additional area. We have the newest laser for smart liposuction and have become one of their teaching centers. The procedure does take slightly longer then traditional liposuction but the recovery can be a little easier on the patient.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo cost: Fees for any procedure can vary widely

+2

There are many factors that come into play when having liposuction. One factor includes whether the surgeon is a board certified surgeon, or even a a surgeon for that matter. It can also depend on whether liposuction (such as power assisted liposuction or vaser) are going to be performed along with the procedure. Try to get several opinions from several board certified plastic surgeons who are members of ASAPS prior to making your decision. Good luck.

Sanjay Grover, MD