Smart Lipo Doctors ~ How to Find Best One?

I am about to pay for the procedure of smart lipo on my thighs. I am supposed to meet with the doctor again, i went for blood work. How do i know if this doctor is reputable? He spoke well about the proceedure and was very ressuring. He seemed very knowledgeable as well. Is there any research I can do on him to be absolutely sure though? Thank you so much!

Check and re-check!

+9

In my area there is a general surgeon who tells his patients that he trained in plastic surgery and is board certified. He is board certified. He is certified in general surgery. Is he lying? No. He just didn't answer the question completely. He never did a plastic surgery residency. He never did a plastic surgery fellowship. He did take some weekend courses in Plastic Surgery. New Jersey law does not say you have to be a plastic surgeon to do liposuction. He takes patients seen in the NJ office to his "facility in Pennsylvania." Why? Is it really to save dollars on the NJ Cosmetic Tax? Is it really just because his "facility" is there? New Jersey laws state that in order to do liposuction in the office you have to have local hospital privileges. He does not have these. Many of these patients leave his office thinking he is a plastic surgeon. I have been told, "he told me he was certified." The american board of cosmetic surgery is not the same as the american board of plastic surgery. There is only one plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Does this mean he is not qualified to do Smartlipo? I cannot answer that. Perhaps he does a great job. Perhaps none of his patients ever could have a complication. He does not live locally, he lives in Pennsylvania. I have been called to the local ER to take care of patients who are having complications for doctors who simply do not have privileges at the hospital for procedures they are doing. So, how do should you pick a surgeon? Be careful. Do your homework. Find out what they are certified in. Think about it: where do OBGYN's learn to do liposuction? Where do general surgeons learn to do liposuction? Where did the local ER doc doing liposuction learn how to do it? I guess she learned how to do it somewhere.....

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right surgeon

+3

There are some basic questions that patients can ask to better understand the surgeon, the smartlipo procedure, procedure, and the practice.
Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
Are you a Fellow of American or International College of Surgeons?
Are you a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery?
Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
Will you be performing the smartlipo procedure in a hospital or private setting?
Do you have hospital privileges to perform liposuction?
Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally- or state-recognized accrediting agency?
What do I need to do as the patient to get the best results?
How will you perform the smartlipo procedure?
What surgical technique is recommended for me?
How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
What are the risks and complications associated with the smartlipo procedure?
How are complications handled?
What results are reasonable for me?
What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of the smartlipo surgery?
Do you have before-and-after photos that I can look at for smartlipo?

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

How to find a good Smart Lipo doctor

+2

Your comfort level with the surgeon  and his staff during your consult is a good start , his knowledge and experience but dont stop there...  ask for to to speak with patients to find out satisfaction/recommendations in previous procedures. Check out his certifications and creditials and ask to see before and after pictures of HIS patients, not stock photos.

Fernando G. Serra, MD
Clermont Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo doctor

+2

How do you know the doctor is reputable? You have to check the person's board certification. You shoud ask how many procedures the doctor has performed. You have to see the person's results, and you  may want to talk to other patients that he/she has treated.

Board certified smartlipo plastic surgeon

+1

Ask specifically what they are board certified in.  Plastic surgery? Dermatology? Ask to see a LOT of before and after photos and make certain they are all patients of your doctor.  Ask to speak with SEVERAL patients who had the same procedure done recently. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Dodtor

+1

I suggest you evaluate pictures and seek a second consultation with your doctor to increase you confidence. This so new, the i doubt if your local medical society will be of help. Often reviews on the web can be nisleading as the reviews may all be from solcited positive patients or on the othe hand one angry patient can ruin a good reputation. My patients are seen by myself and another smart lipo surgeon to make sure of the diagnosis

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Finding the right plastic surgeon

+1

Before you go in for your consultation, do your research.  Google them and review their website.  When you are at your consultation, as them about their qualifications.  Ask if they are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Ask how many procedures they have done.  Ask which hospitals they have privileges to operated in and if they have admitting privileges.  Talk to other patients , etc.  Just as all chefs, all hair stylists and all artists are not the same, all surgeons are not the same.  It is important that you find one that is highly trained and that you have a personality fit so that you can have a pleasant experience for your procedure.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

SmartLipo doctor

+1

Ask how long he has been doing this procedure and how many surgeries he has performed with the Smartlipo. You should also ask to see photos and possibly speak to some of his patients. We were the first to pioneer SmartLipo and you can go to our website to get answers to your questions.

Bruce E. Katz, MD