How Long Does It Take to See Results from Restylane?

I had restylane injections for marionette lines 6 days ago. It looked improved at first, but now I don't see too much of a difference. I called the MD office today and they said that the Restylane can take another week as it needs to absorb water. They said I should call next week if still no improvement. I went online and couldn't find anything about this situation. Should I have gotten another product? I paid $450.00.

Maybe you need a little more Restylane to see results?

I don't really know how deep your marionette lines were to begin with but sometimes people need more to achieve desired correction. If your doctor used any type of dental numbing blocks in that area to reduce discomfort that could cause some swelling and distorion of the area during the treatment. If that were the case then perhaps the area was undercorrected which means that not enough filler was used to get the level of desired final correction.

Normal swelling from the filler would happen for a few days after the treatment (which made it look good), then as the swelling diminshed then you actually see the true correction from the filler. I would suggest to follow your doctor's advise and schedule a follow up visit.

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid fillers do not stimulate collagen production

Restylane is the proprietary name given to a safe hyaluronic acid filler used to augment facial soft tissue, including the lips and nasolabial folds. Restylane is similar to Juvederm and is a temporary filler.

Unlike other fillers on the market, Restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers, are not stimulatory agents of collagen growth and deposition. In other words, these fillers do not stimulate your dermis to produce more collagen. The amount of filling with Restylane is equal to the volume injected.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Restylane Results

If you love instant gratification, you'll love the results of Restylane Silk and Restylane !  The results can be seen immediately , although some swelling and bruising might occur. Filling  lips and the moderate nasolabial folds are easily corrected if treated by expert injectors. 

#Restylaneresults  #Restylanelipenhancement

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Results should be apparent almost immediately...

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that’s frequently used to treat marionette lines. It’s associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.
In the vast majority of patients who undergo Restylane injections, results are apparent almost immediately.In some cases, these results can be obscured by the presence of swelling.In most cases, this swelling has resolved within 24 hours of the procedure, but in some cases may persist for 3 to 5 days.
Your history suggest, that your swelling may have been a significant contributor to your initial result.Resolution of your swelling has resulted in a noticeable decrease in the fullness of the injected area.This doesn’t mean that anything has been done wrong or that you’ve had an unfavorable reaction to the filler.It just means you need additional Restylane.When this type of scenario arises, an additional syringe can easily be administered to correct the problem.
It’s important to understand that most surgeons charge by the syringe for the volume given at the time of treatment.It’s safe to say that with additional volume you should have an excellent result.

Short term effect may be caused by swelling.

It is likely that in addition to the benefit you received form the Restylane injection, the swelling that invariably results from the injection trauma may have caused some additional benefit. Typically, the swelling lasts about 7-10 days. You may need to have some additional filler injected. I would suggest discussing this with the surgeon who performed the injections. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long before results

It depends on how deep your marionette lines are.  If they are deep, you may need additional product.  I would wait another week and assess if more is necessary at that time. $450 seems a little low for a full syringe of restylane so the injector may have injector only .5 cc.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane results should be seen immediately

When performed properly, results from Restylane are immediate. If they are not immediately perfect you need to see a dermatologic surgeon who is an expert in using facial fillers, like Restylane and others, to correct the problem.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Instant results from Restylane

Patients receive Instant gratification with fillers. You can experience swelling from fillers which can last a few days. Sounds like you liked the look immediately after the filler. It’s not that the filler didn’t work, you may just need a little more.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

How long after Restylane injections for results?

The "after" pictures we take on our Restylane patients are taken immediately after treatment and then at 2 weeks. Both sets should show the effects of the product. Two variables present that may affect the visible onset of the product is how much swelling there is and how much (if any) water the Restylane absorbs.

If there is much swelling, it usually resolves in the first week or so and the final effect of the Restylane can be seen after two weeks. Because Hyaluronic acid (which Restylane is made of) has the ability to absorb 1000x it's weight in water, there may be some additional plumping seen after injection if swelling has not distorted this effect.

If the effects of the procedure are gone after a week as you describe, the product was most likely injected incorrectly. You should return to your practitioner to view your before photos and ask for a revision.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Results after Restylane injections are immediate

You should see immediate results after your Restylane injections. You will also have some swelling, which may peak the day after and in some people can last several days or even a week.

It sounds like you liked the results of the Restylane plus the swelling, and when the swelling went away it looked like you needed more filler. That makes me wonder if the lines you had filled really required more than one tube of Restylane in order to acheive full correction.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon