How Long Does It Take to See Results from Restylane?

I had restylane injections for marionette lines 6 days ago. It looked improved at first, but now I don't see too much of a difference. I called the MD office today and they said that the Restylane can take another week as it needs to absorb water. They said I should call next week if still no improvement. I went online and couldn't find anything about this situation. Should I have gotten another product? I paid $450.00.

Maybe you need a little more Restylane to see results?

+2

I don't really know how deep your marionette lines were to begin with but sometimes people need more to achieve desired correction. If your doctor used any type of dental numbing blocks in that area to reduce discomfort that could cause some swelling and distorion of the area during the treatment. If that were the case then perhaps the area was undercorrected which means that not enough filler was used to get the level of desired final correction.

Normal swelling from the filler would happen for a few days after the treatment (which made it look good), then as the swelling diminshed then you actually see the true correction from the filler. I would suggest to follow your doctor's advise and schedule a follow up visit.

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid fillers do not stimulate collagen production

+2

Restylane is the proprietary name given to a safe hyaluronic acid filler used to augment facial soft tissue, including the lips and nasolabial folds. Restylane is similar to Juvederm and is a temporary filler.

Unlike other fillers on the market, Restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers, are not stimulatory agents of collagen growth and deposition. In other words, these fillers do not stimulate your dermis to produce more collagen. The amount of filling with Restylane is equal to the volume injected.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How long before results

+1

It depends on how deep your marionette lines are.  If they are deep, you may need additional product.  I would wait another week and assess if more is necessary at that time. $450 seems a little low for a full syringe of restylane so the injector may have injector only .5 cc.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane results should be seen immediately

+1

When performed properly, results from Restylane are immediate. If they are not immediately perfect you need to see a dermatologic surgeon who is an expert in using facial fillers, like Restylane and others, to correct the problem.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Instant results from Restylane

+1

Patients receive Instant gratification with fillers. You can experience swelling from fillers which can last a few days. Sounds like you liked the look immediately after the filler. It’s not that the filler didn’t work, you may just need a little more.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

How long after Restylane injections for results?

+1

The "after" pictures we take on our Restylane patients are taken immediately after treatment and then at 2 weeks. Both sets should show the effects of the product. Two variables present that may affect the visible onset of the product is how much swelling there is and how much (if any) water the Restylane absorbs.

If there is much swelling, it usually resolves in the first week or so and the final effect of the Restylane can be seen after two weeks. Because Hyaluronic acid (which Restylane is made of) has the ability to absorb 1000x it's weight in water, there may be some additional plumping seen after injection if swelling has not distorted this effect.

If the effects of the procedure are gone after a week as you describe, the product was most likely injected incorrectly. You should return to your practitioner to view your before photos and ask for a revision.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Results after Restylane injections are immediate

+1

You should see immediate results after your Restylane injections. You will also have some swelling, which may peak the day after and in some people can last several days or even a week.

It sounds like you liked the results of the Restylane plus the swelling, and when the swelling went away it looked like you needed more filler. That makes me wonder if the lines you had filled really required more than one tube of Restylane in order to acheive full correction.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane results are usually apparent within the first...

+1

Hi Anon,

Restylane results are usually apparent within the first 24 hours after injection. The initial immediate results are due to the product and a little swelling. The product does absorb some subcutaneous water molecules to give a fuller appearance after a day or so. Certainly after 6 days you should see a difference. When you return to your physician, take a look at your pre-treatment photographs.

Restylane, Juviderm, Radiesse, and Evolence are all good products to correct marionette lines. Sometimes it takes more than one syringe depending on the amount of volume loss in the area. Let us know how it goes next week, especially if it "fills in" during the second week after your injections, as that will be news to me. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

The Skinny on Restylane

+1

Dear Restylane user,

RESTYLANE is a type of SOFT-TISSUE FILLER or DERMAL FILLER. Sometimes these products are referred to as FILLERS. The reason you saw immediate significant improvement is due to the initial swelling from the treatment. This swelling usually goes away in the first few days. If the product you received was in-fact RESTYLANE, the results should last about 6 months.

It is true that RESTYLANE binds water, however this occurs immediately and you should see the results right away once the swelling has subsided.

The most likely reason you don't notice the improvement anymore, is because you probably didn't get enough product. The amount of product needed depends on the depth of the lines. The fact that you liked the result immediately and no longer notice the improvement suggests that you may need more product injected.

RESTYLANE is a HYALURONIC ACID product. It is very similar to HYALOFORM, PERLANE, CAPTIQUE, JUVEDERM. All of these products have the same ingredient with very subtle differences and last about 6 months.

Other SOFT-TISSUE FILLERS that treat lines and wrinkles include Elevess and Prevelle (these contain a numbing medicine to make the procedure more comfortable). There is also a permanent FILLER called AREFILL.

Depending on your needs, there are other products that require time before the results are evident. these include Botox, Sculptra etc.

Hope you find this information helpful.

A. Peter Salas, MD

The results from Restylane or other fills should be...

+1

The results from Restylane or other fills should be almost immediate.  Yes, there may be some swelling initially, but the results should be there.  Perhaps you need more filler to get the improvment that you desire?