How Long Does Restylane Last?

How long does Restylan last for real?  I had it once and it only lasted 2 months!

That Depends

+11

Hi Daovin,

There is no set time period that we can firmly guarantee Restylane lasting. It varies depending upon the area, the amount, the patient's activity level and metabolism.

It lasts longest in areas that are the least mobile. It commonly lasts for a year or more under the lower eyelids when tear trough depressions are corrected. It disappears quickest in the most mobile areas like the lip, quicker in those that move their lips a lot (less unnecessary chatting anyone?). I have heard some patients say that it lasted only two months in their lips, but usually it lasts 3-4 months in the lips. Patients that are very active and work out three times a day lose their Restylane faster that say a person that is inactive, say like a cadaver.

Then there is the amount that is injected, sometimes there is initial swelling regardless of the amount injected. When that swelling resolves, it looks as if the Restylane is gone, but perhaps there was not much put there in the first place.

It should last from 6 to up to 9 months. You may want to try the thicker form of Restylane called Perlane which some claim to last longer. Question how much Restylane you are receiving. It is also vital that your treating physician place the injections in the proper level of your skin. Good luck.

Dr. P

How long does Restylane last? It depends largely on the skill of your injector

+6

There is no set timeline on how long a filler lasts. It all depends on how much is injected and the areas that are injected. If you put a very small (or too small) amount in, you won't get a good result and it will last a very short time.

What I see in most of these cases where people say it 'didn't last' is that they only had a small budget for fillers and wanted too many areas injected at the same time. If I have a patient with unrealistic expectations, I tell them to either do one area alone or, if necessary, save up to do more of a filler in the future so that the area is done in the right way.

Lastly, the skill of the injector is very important here. There are many new injectors who simply don't know what they are doing and how to do it. This means that they are injecting fillers in the wrong place and that can often result in very short length of activity.

It is so very important to go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who actually does their own injections. While they may have 'staff' who do injections reasonably well, the only way they are going to get skills that translate to good injections is to do it themselves and not pawn it off to someone.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Restylane lasts 6-8 months

+4

Restylane lasts anywhere from 6 to 8 months, although results vary quite a bit upon how fast the patient metabolizes the product, where it is injected and the amount of muscle movement. When Restylane is injected in the tear trough area, I typically see results lasting up to one year. If injected into  the lips, the results may last as short as 5 to 6 months since there is a lot of muscle movement that will cause depredation of the product.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Restylane last?

+4

There are so many variables to this questions.  The package insert states 6 months, but in real life in can be anywhere from 3 months to a year or longer.  This has to do with a number of factors including the area in which it was injected, the depth of injection, if the patient was corrected to full correction and the individual factors, such as smoking.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Restylane and Juvederm can last 9 - 15 months.

+4

We have many patients that we see after a year who still have nice results with fillers.  These fillers may be done more frequently to "touch up" certain regions that may have lost some volume along the way.

But overall, the products are safe, easy to use, easy to manipulate, and are reversible.

These are the preferred products for new users to establish the goal for the treatments.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Longevity

+4
Depending on the facial area, Restylane can last approximately 3 to 6 months. There is no guaranteed time line, and fillers tend to last the longest in areas that are less mobile - typically, 3 months for the lips, 6 months under the eyes and cheek.
While traces of Restylane may be found in the body up to 12 months, the full cosmetic benefits start to decrease 3 to 6 months, depending on the area treated. In my office, I have noticed that after the third injection, the intervals tend to be longer and the body builds up collagen in those areas on it's own.
There are fillers, such ash Perlane and Artefill that last longer. If you've fallen in love with your results and want to commit to a longer time line, discuss a longer lasting product with your plastic surgeon.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane results last about 6-9 months but several factors

+4

Restylane injections last 6 to 9 months on average but it also depends on the site and the volume of product injected. After the initial treatment results often last longer if one does not wait until all of the product has dissipated. Restylane and all HA fillers have a unique feature of being hydrophilic (attract extracellular water to the injection site) which helps prolong the correction or improvement.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane effects last 3-9 months on average.

+3

The effects of Restylane are reported to be effective for 3-9 months depending on how fast your body absorbs it.

Restylane Lasts 6 to 9 months

+3

Restylane generally lasts 6-9 months in most patients. In areas with a lot of movement, such as the lips, it usually lasts less long. In the area under the eyes, where there is less movement, it lasts longer.

It is important to note that Restylane does not just suddenly disappear. It is slowly broken down and absorbed over time. People who need several vials of Restylane to start, may only need one vial every several months to maintain a youthful appearance.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hard to generalize but 6 -10 months good average

+3

Restylane and juvederm are very similar. Juvederm has more than one concentration, the most dense versio lasts longer, sometimes over a year.

Areas with a lot of motion , such as the lips- will subside a little sooner. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon