How Long Does Swelling After Restylane Last?

I had Restylane put unto my cheeks two weeks ago now the right cheek is swollen under the eye and hurts two weeks later, what shall I do? I am going to call harley street today.

Typically 7-10 days

Swelling typically last 7-10 days.  If you are still experiencing pain contact your doctor.  It is best to see your physician and make them aware of the situation.

It may be normal, resolving swelling, but it is time for a f/u appt

When fillers are injected in the cheek area, particularly when close to the lower eyelid, swelling may persist longer than other areas of the face. You may have a resolving ecchymosis or bruise responsible for the asymmetry. Whatever the case you should make a follow-up appt with your provider, and he/she, after an exam, can give you a more precise answer.

John E. Gross, MD

See Your Physician

Good Day Melzy,

See your doc to make sure that you do not have an infection.  The pain and swelling after two weeks are most unusal following Restylane injections, and may be signs of an infection.  Good luck and please let us know how it goes.  Be well and send my regards to Harley Street.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

About two weeks

At two weeks after your treatment, you should expect most of the swelling to have resolved itself by now. I would recommend you visit your injector to have this looked at. You shouldn’t feel as much pain and this could be a complication.

Up to 5 days in rare cases...

It’s not unusual for patients to experience swelling immediately following Restylane injections. In some cases, swelling may even be asymmetric. In most cases, this swelling has resolved in 24 hours, but may persist for up to 3 to 5 days in rare cases.
Swelling following treatment with Restylane can be a major source of anxiety for cosmetic surgery patients. It’s important to remember that in most cases swelling resolves with the passage of time and the majority of patients are ultimately happy with their result.
A swollen cheek with significant pain two weeks following Restylane injection is definitely abnormal and should be evaluated immediately. This might represent a hematoma, seroma, or infection. Under these circumstances drainage or antibiotics may be necessary. If you have this type of problem following Restylane injections, it’s important to contact your physician as soon as possible. Your physician should be able to formulate a plan that addresses your concerns.

Swelling after Restylane injection

In general, swelling after Restylane injection lasts 7-10 days. Any swelling, bruising, redness or pain that persists beyond two weeks should be evaluated by the professional who performed the injection. 

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane

Swelling is normal and can be asymmetric. You can expect swelling to last for one to two weeks, depending on the area treated and how your body reacts to the treatment. Keep your head elevated to help ease swelling, particularly when sleeping. You can use a few pillows to prop your head up. Because your swelling is still prominent after two weeks, please see your injector for an assessment.

By two weeks, swelling should be dissipated.

Although the answer is a little different for everyone, for the most part, I don’t expect my patients to have any noticeable swelling by the two-week mark. Usually it’s gone within a day or two. This can vary somewhat, depending on the injection placement (for example, right under the eye may have visible swelling a bit longer due to the delicacy of the skin). What’s more troubling to me, however, is the fact that you have noticeable pain. Some tenderness and bruising aren’t uncommon right after injection, but real pain lasting two full weeks after your treatment is definitely worth a follow-up with your injector.

Restylane Swelling

Swelling generally lasts no more than 7-10 days.  However, some patients may react slower. You should contact the physician to have him take a look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling after restylane

Having discomfort after a facial filler two weeks after the procedure is unusual, and you probably need to see your doctor.