How Long Does a Broken Nose Take to Heal?

assuming the fracture is straight and minor, and doesn't need to be reset, how long does it take a broken nose to heal?

Broken Nose

+1
It takes between 3 and 4 weeks for the bones to knit in place following a fracture.  I tell my patients to refrain from blowing the nose for 3 weeks as well.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fracture healing time

+1
Fractures of the nose involve the nasal bones. Nasal fractures come in many different varieties but in general, a nasal bony fracture will start to heal around 20 days; this means scar tissue is forming between the bony fragments and the bones are stable.  I let my patients start wearing glasses again at 3 weeks because the fear of pinching the bones is less  The scar tissue will be replaced with new bone by 5-6 months and will be completely healed.  The strength of the fracture never goes back to 100% but studies show it approaches greater than 95%.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

3-4 Weeks for a Broken Nose to Heal.

+1

A broken nose will usually heal within 3-4 weeks. After a month it is very difficult to shift or move the bones in the nose.

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Depending on the injury

+1

Depending on the injury and the amount of damage, the time to heal after a broken nose can vary greatly. Nasal bone fractures usually heal enough within two weeks that closed reduction to repair the fracture is no longer possible.  Complete healing of the bone can take 3-4 weeks, and swelling can last 6-12 months.  Complications from nasal bone fractures include nasal obstruction and difficulty with breathing.  I usually recommend patients to see an ENT/Facial Plastic Surgeon within 1 week of the injury to determine the appropriate treatment.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose

+1

Good Question.  So as you mentioned it all depends.  If you have a minor or non-displaced fracture, meaning you nose while swollen is straight then you dont need to SET it or reduce it.  If however the nose looks grossly crooked then setting will be needed.  The next issue is when.  You generally want to wait a few days to let the swelling resolve as some crookedness is an illusion and will go away with the swelling but you dont want to wait more than like 10days.  The nose heals very quickly.  Finally you really dont want to do a NOSE JOB on a broken nose for 9-12months following the injury.

Hope that helps

Dr Rahban

Rady Rahban, MD

Healing time for a broken nose

+1

Although the optimal window for reduction of a nasal bone fracture is about 2 weeks.  I can tell you from experience that the nose is tender to moderate touch for about 6 weeks.  Trust me, you will want to be careful with it until then!

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal fractures take six weeks to heal

+1

After rhinoplasty, where we have manipulated the nasal bones, we consider the nasal bones strong enough to withstand a blow six weeks after surgery.  This allows the nasal bones to gain enough strength to withstand all the normal bumps a nose might experience in daily life. 

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

How long for a broken nose to heal

+1

The time for healing with a broken nose is dependent on the severity of the fracture.  Usually, a fractured nasal bone will heal in 2-3 weeks, which is the window to perform a closed reduction and move the nasal bones back into normal position.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing of a broken nose

+1

Bones are considered broken for a period of four weeks.  Any activity that can traumatize your nose in my opinion should be avoided for that period.  You can walk use an elliptical but, that is probably about it.  Trauma during this period could displace a fracture that is currently in position,

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Healing of a broken nose

+1

In your case I would suggest refraining from any potentially traumatic activity for six weeks.  You should have adequate healing of the nasal bones by then.

Wishing you all the best,

Tal Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD