How Can I Prevent Acne Breakouts in my 30s?

Still getting periodic acne breakouts in my 30s. What do I have to do to stop getting acne.  Change my diet?  Clean my face with special soaps?  Any help is super appreciated.

5 Tips for acne prevention

There are a few other things you can do to help with acne. These include:

1. Dietary changes that may help include avoiding excessive dairy consumption, due to the presence of hormones in certain dairy products and decreasing your intake of fast-food, particularly fried, greasy foods and increasing your intake of antioxidants including berries (blueberries, pomegranate juice, citrus fruits).

2. Stress can be a significant factor in the development of acne so anything you can do to decrease stress in your life can help. Regular cardiovascular exercise is one way of reducing stress.

3. Any products placed on the face should be oil-free, water-based, non-comedogenic (meaning non pore-clogging). Gentle cleansers rather than soaps should be used to cleanse the face.

4. If you notice your makeup is clogging your pores and causing whiteheads and blackheads, switch brands, preferably to a mineral makeup. I agree that no makeup should be left on the face overnight.

5. Hormonal changes particularly in women of child-bearing age can cause regular acne break-outs. Consider speaking to your dermatologist about available preventative hormonal therapies if this is the case. Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist