Gushing Blood from Belly Button? (photo)

Hello, I had my tummy tuck 3wks and 4 days ago. I caught a cold and have been coughing and sneezing pretty badly. Late last night I coughed and heard a popping noise followed by a little bit of pain that went away. (not the sore aching pain more of a sharp pain) It happened again when i sneezed shortly after. I went to bed and woke up with my belly button Swollen and gushing blood and has been all day! It looked so good a couple of days ago! Is everything okay? I'm so worried!

Gushing blood after a tummy tuck

+1

Most likely you had a fluid collection under the skin, a so called seroma, which came out though the belly button after you coughed. I would definitely recommend that you see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Other than that you look like you are healing well. Good Luck

Bleeding belly button

+1

I would advise you to contact your plastic surgeon for an appointment.  Your description and photos warrant further investigation as to the cause. Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Seroma vs hematoma

+1

Thank you for the photos.  The coughing definitely put pressure on your belly button repair. At three weeks however I would be a little surprised if the coughing was enough to tear the repair.  More likely you had an ongoing seroma in this area that reduced healing and when you coughed it separated the remainder of this repair.  Regardless you should have your plastic surgeon take a look at you.  He may choose to wash this area, leave a drain, and resuture the wound.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Gushing Blood from Belly Button?

+1

Based upon your description seek immediate medical care. Or at least see your surgeon very very soon. Possible arterial bleed from a rupture in the tissue. 

Blood from belly button

+1

Please see your plastic surgeon immediately.  You may have torn something and it is bleeding or old pocket of blood has reached the surface.  In either case it needs urgent attention.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Gushing Blood from Belly Button

+1

It sounds like some of your blood vessels started bleeding with the forceful cough or you tore some rectus sheath sutures and that caused the bleeding. At any rate you should see your surgeon. You may need an exploration or a drain to get through this problem.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD