Im a Server at a Restaurant and Im Having a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift and Aug, How Long Will Recovery Take?

Time off Work for Server

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Patients generally can return to light activity 7 to 10 post surgery. More strenuous activity can generally begin 2 to 6 months post surgery. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Returning to Work

+1

Although every person heals differently and recovery can vary, as a generalization, I would suggest about 3 weeks before returning to a server's job after a tummy tuck and breast surgery.  Your abdominal muscles will be somewhat sore when bending or lifting,  and you will need to be careful about not stretching your arms up too high or straining your chest muscles too soon.  Often patients will return to light duty for a short time before increasing to regular duty with heavier lifting.  Good luck.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Post op wound strength

+1

I generally recommend at least 2 week off work for an abdominoplasty and no lifting anything above your head for about 4 weeks after a breast lift.  At 1 month, your wounds have only recovered 15% of the original strength and can be damaged by excessive loading.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from surgery

+1

Each person is different and much of when you can return to work will depend on how you're feeling, but in general we tell patients that two weeks off from work is common.  Some women, especially those who are on their feet for work, may find it helpful to take a modified shift, or come back to work part time for their first week returning as they may find they wear out more quickly.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Three Weeks Are Needed for Recovery After Mommy Makeover

+1

While the combination of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation will make a major change to your body, it is important to allow an adequate time for recovery. The reality is that most patients initially think they will need less than they really do. And this Mommy Makeover is one operation that you definitely don't want to underestimate it. As a server, and I have had many patients who were servers, you need to allow for three weeks after surgery as a minumum. If you had a sitdown job that would be different. But your job is more physical than you realize, particularly when trying to bounce back from a tummy tuck.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Recovery post tummy tuck and breast lift with augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have their own protocol but I would say in general you should be able to resume working as a server two weeks post op if everything goes as planned.  You still want to avoid really heavy lifting, but if you can modify how heavy your trays are, two weeks should be sufficient.  Good luck to you!!

Milind K. Ambe, MD