I Have a High Hernia, my Stomach Protrudes. Is It Safe To Transfer Fat From Abdomen for BBL?

i would like to get fat transfer from my stomach to my butt am not sure is it safe for me because of the high hernia.

Liposuction Safety with Hiatal Hernia VS Ventral or Umbilical Hernia

+1

A hernia is the physical protrusion and pooching of structures from one body compartment into a compartment where they do not belong. I suspect by "high hernia" you meant hiatal hernia. A hiatal hernia referes to a pooching into the chest through the hiatus (the opening in the diaphragm through which the food tube, esophagus, enters the abdominal cavity. 

A VENTRAL hernia is the pooching outward through the abdominal wall of  any intraabdominal structures while an umbilical hernia is a subset of ventral hernias referring to outpooching through the belly button area.

Since Brazilian Butt Lift involves the liposuction harvest of fat from several areas, includding the abdomen, and its transfer to the buttocks, liposuction of the abdomen is often done. By its nature, liposuction is a blind procedure in which a steel cannula attached to suction is repeatedly passed through the fat. Any structures found in the fat can easily be punctured by the steel tubes. As a result, liposuction of the abdomen should not be done with known ventral hernias. However, since hiatal hernias do NOT go through the abdominal wall they cannot be perforated by liposuction limited to the fat under the skin.

Brazilian Butt Lift with Hiatal Hernia

+1

Hi there-

Am I correct that what you are trying to say is that you have a hiatal hernia? In this situation, part of the stomach tissue pushes up through an enlarged hole in the diaphragm into the chest, causing pain and reflux of stomach acid.

If this is the case, there is no reason that you should not be able to pursue a brazilian butt lift, although it is very important that your reflux be  under control at the time of anesthesia.

If you have a different type of hernia, it may not be in your best interests to have a BBL, as the procedure involves liposuction, which may not be safe if there is a true hernia in your abdominal wall.

Your best bet is to discuss it with your family physician first, and if it is indeed a hiatail hernia, then with a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS