Hernia Repair Vs Tummy Tuck. Higher Risk?

How much different/dangerous/invasive etc is a hernia repair ( umbilical) surgery than a tummy tuck surgery? I have to get my hernia repaired in the future but if hernia repair and tummy tucks have the same risk etc then I may just choose to go ahead and get a tummy tuck too. But if a hernia is less of a risk then a tummy tuck then I still want to stay away from any invasive cosmetic surgery. Thanks

If you really want a tummy tuck, then it is probably good to go ahead and get it done the same time as the hernia repair.

+1

If you really want a tummy tuck, then it is probably good to go ahead and get it done the same time as the hernia repair. It can make the exposure for the hernia repair easier but tummu tuck does have risks.

I don't know anything about your medical conditions. To see what kind of surgical risk you would be and to see if you are a good candidate for tummy tuck, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

Hernia repair v tummy tuck

+1
The hernia repair is, by its nature, an operation dealing with only one issue and is much shorter than the tummy tuck. There is less anesthesia time and a shorter recuperation. Obviously, it only addresses the umbilical hernia and not the cosmetic appearance of your abdomen. Neither operation has a high incidence of risk so you may want to explore the complexity, benefits and downtime involved with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1

Hernias come in all types and sizes and the only one who can really tell you how complicated the repair will be is the general surgeon who diagnosed it.  Most umbilical hernias are not complex and can be repaired at the same time as an abdominoplasty(tummy tuck).  Many times this is done as a two team procedure with the general surgeon and the plastic surgeon working together .  The recovery from this combined approach is for the most part the same as a normal tummy tuck procedure.

Please discuss your umbilical hernia concerns with your general surgeon and also with your plastic surgeon.  Most plastic surgeon's are very used to working as a team to take care of both problems and limit you to only one recovery and not two separate ones.

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

+1

It is very common to have an umbilical hernia repair corrected at the same time of a tummy tuck. Your insurance should cover the hernia repair and the tummy tuck would be cosmetic. Recovery from a hernia repair alone is easier than a tummy tuck. With a tummy tuck you walk hunched over for about 2 weeks. Your limitations are the same for the 2 procedures although doing the hernia repair is less painful than the tummy tuck.

Leo Lapuerta, MD