Had Tummy Tuck 2 Years Ago and Scar Still Very Red and Still Puffy? Is This Normal?

I had the TT 2 years ago and I am quite happy as I don't have the stomach that I did after having 2 children. My question is that I still have much swelling (majority during the time I am expecting my period), but the scar is still quite red and puffy. I used every lotion and scar cream and nothing has seemed to help. I am starting to get quite depressed over this. I had lipo on the flanks last summer and still puffy from that so wondering if that is the issue. Anyone else experience this?

Hypertrophic or keloid scar after tummy tuck

+1
Your scar is either hypertrophic or keloidal. A photo would be useful to determine which of the two you have. It is important to continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon rather than to self treat. The first line of treatment, after topical or silicone sheeting, is steroid injection into the scar. Radiation is beneficial for keloids and may be combined with serial excisions; however, the radiologists in my area no longer wish to assume the long term risks of this treatment notwithstanding its efficacy.

Lasers can improve tummy tuck scars.

+1

Hi.

It sounds like you need a really good evaluation, either by your original plastic surgeon or by another one.  You can probably be made better.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Red puffy TT scar after two years.

+1

It would be helpful to see a photo to see what is swollen. If it is the scar itself, you have either a hypertrophic scar or keloid and your surgeon can help guide its treatment, which may involve steriod injection, laser treatment, radiation or surgical scar revision. 

If on the other hand the swelling is in the skin above the scars, the diagnosis and treatment will be quite different. Consider adding a photo to your inquiry, and do discuss options with your surgeon.