I Got my Eyebrows Waxed a Couple of Hours After Botox. What Will Happen?

I was not told that this is not advised. This is my third botox treatment and I got a small amount on my frown line and crows feet. What are the chances the wax caused the botox to spread to neighboring muscles?

Eyebrows waxed after Botox

Rubbing and touching the general areas treated with Botox can increase the risk of spreading to undesirable areas, which is why it's better to not have any other treatments performed in the area for a day or more (and sometimes up to a week). However, if you aren't experiencing any sagging of your eyelids or other undesirable effects, then you may be okay.

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Waxing eyebrows and botox

you should avoid waxing for the same day after botox but no one is certain as to the number of hours to avoid this, or if it is necessary. You may be fine without any negative side effects.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Botox and waxing after

I think you will be fine, and again, you should know if there is a problem with your upper eyelids within a few days of the procedure.  Good luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD

2839 St. Rose Parkway
Henderson, NV 89052

Botox Migration

Botox is unlikely to migrate with waxing of the eyebrows. The problems usually happen when too much Botox is injected or is injected into the wrong place.

Dr J

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

2345 Lamington Road
Bedminster, NJ 07921

Botox Migration?

Renee, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. The old advice to lie down after Botox etc to prevent migration has no validity. Hope this helps.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

102 Westlake Dr
Austin, TX 78746

Eyebrows waxed after Botox Treatment?

Most likely consequence of having your eyebrows waxed after Botox treatment is: nothing.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

After care for Botox

By now you know if it was a problem.

It does occasionally happen that the Botox migrates and causes a slight drooping of the eyelids for a short time. This is very uncommon however. Probably it doesn't matter what you do after an hour or so, but we still tell our patients to be careful for the first 24 to 48 hours after Injection.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

5035 Mayfield Rd
Lyndhurst, OH 44124

Botox and risk with waxing

You should not have any problem with your Botox spreading.  We advise patients to not lie down for 4 hours so they don't fall asleep and accidently rub the treated areas.  Typically, there is no rubbing with eyebrow waxing so you are safe.  To prevent worry next time, consider doing your treatments on separate days.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

1849 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 1Y2

Pressure on the area of Botox injections

There is a small chance that some Botox may spread from the areas of injection if pressure was applied within 3 hours or so after injections.

It's not advisable to lie down, touch or massage the area or engage in exercise for three hours after injections.

However, that said, 90% of Botox is bound to its place of action by 1 hour after injections, so if something does spread, it will be a very small amount.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Road
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Probably OK to wax and get Botox the same day

In my opinion the likelihood of having the Botox spread further than you want it to from waxing the same day would be very unlikely.  Procedures that cause edema (swelling) in the skin can cause the Botox solution to spread through the skin further than it would spread through non-swollen skin.  That's why we advise patients to avoid doing laser resurfacing the same day as Botox.  I doubt that waxing would cause enough swelling to be a problem, but just in case you can schedule them on different days next time.

Suzanne Bruce, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

1900 St James Place
Houston, TX 77056