What is the Normal Dose of Botox for Bruxism?

I just got 20 units in each masseter and 10 units in each temporallis muscle. My first dose was 2.5 months ago, which was only 10 units in each masseter, and it did not improve my symptoms. I am just nervous of this does maybe being too much and then having some negative side effects like, jaw hanging open, can't chew, trouble swallowing, etc. In your experience, has this dose ever caused this?

Botox and grinding

+1

Different doctors use different doses of botulinum toxin for teeth grinding or bruxism. It is better to increase the dose gradually and that is what your doctor is doing. Some patients may need more than you. Fortunately the side effects you mention are unusual at normal doses.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox For Bruxism

+1

The typical dose is 20-30 units per side. It sounds like your doc is proceeding in the right way by starting with the smaller dose and then increasing it depending on the effect, until you get to the dose that works best for you. The side effects you mention are possible if given too much, but given the approach of your injector, the likelihood of this happening is very, very, very low. Hang in there and don't worry- you'll likely start to notice a difference soon.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox dosage recommended for bruxism

+1

No need to worry.  The typical dosage for bruxism is 20 to 40 units into each masseter.  The dosage is dependent on the size of the muscle and how strong it is.  Once you have the correct dosage for you, the result can last for many months.  Patients love it.

Toronto Dermatologist