I Rubbed My Botoxed Area by Mistake 28 Hours (1 Day) After the Injection?

I was having a shower 28 hours after my botox injection (between the eyebrows). I was washing up and got some soap in my eye. Without thinking, I rubbed my eyes and the areas around them quite hard for about 2 or 3 seconds. I'm really worried that I have spread the paralysis agent to my eyes/eyelids. Since it's after 24 hours, is it a very low risk, or a probably risk? Please help!!!!

You won't affect your botox result by rubbing the area one day afterwards

+1

There is no evidence that such rubbing can affect the Botox result one day afterwards. I would avoid such activity in the first four hours after the treatment.

Rubbing a Botoxed area

+1

We generally advise people to not rub the treated Botox area for 4 hours after treatment. I would have no concern if you rubbed the area more than 24hrs after your treatment...relax, and enjoy soon the great results!

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Rubbing of the Botox site

+1

To simply answer your question - it will be fine. Although some advocate holding off on rubbing for 4-8 hours after surgery, given the timeline that you have mentioned, you are easily clear of this issue.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

+1

You can rub the area to your hearts content and it will have zero effect on the Botox.  Once injected, the Botox is absorbed by the muscle within minutes.  Rubbing the area after that will have no effect.

Rubbing the Botox Injection Area

+1

If Botox is injected correctly then rubbing the area should not be a serious concern. When Botox is injected into the skin it targets a specific muscle. That muscle is then paralyzed which ultimately helps improve wrinkles. When properly injected, rubbing the area that received the Botox treatment should not be a concern.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox 28 hours after

+1

Should be no restrictions 28 hours after.  As noted by others, we recommend not rubbing injection sites for 24 hours to avoid the possibility of rubbing the toxin into untreated areas.  There is no actual evidence that this is required, but it is mostly theoretical.  Good luck!

Curt Samlaska, MD

Rubbing Botox Injection Site

+1

As others have previously noted, rubbing the Botox injection site 28 hours after the procedure should not cause any adverse effects.  We use this general precaution to make sure that Botox stays in the injected area. However, this is probably only relevant for 8-12 hours.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rubbed Botoxed Area by Mistake 28 Hours (1 Day) After the Injection

+1

Thank you for the question. There should not be any concern. To ease your mind, request to be seen by your injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rubbing Botox Injected Area

+1

Botox is bound to the neuromuscular junctions in the target area very quickly after injection.  You should have no adverse effect from rubbing 28 hours later.  No worries!

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Diffusion Concerns

+1

I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Best wishes for a great result!