My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I got 600 cc High Profile Saline implants on Nov. 1st ,2012. They are stiff and look like jellybeans. They don't really have any round shape to them. I just started massaging them because they don't hurt anymore. I have had them exactly one week and I'm freaking out. I just want them to drop and look normal. Did I get them too big? Is there anything wrong with them? Anything I can do to make them more round? I was a 34 c pre- surgery.

My Breast Look Square and High Up

It is quite common for implants to appear "high riding" at a week after surgery, and they can be expected to "drop" over the course of 3 months as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate these. 

As to the choice of size, that is hard to answer without preop photos and breast measurement.They do look quite large for your frame, and that may be contributing to the appearance. The width of a 600 HP implant is just under 14 cm, and many surgeons would restrict their use to patients whose breast width is 14 cm.

At any rate, work on massage and if you don't have a pectoral strap, ask your surgeon if you should be using one. 

Thanks for you question, and best wishes. 

Wait for implants to drop

You are definitely too early in your recovery to judge your results because your breast implants haven't dropped yet. Wait 4 months to let this happen.

My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation?

It is has been common for the immediate post-operative appearance of breast implants to be high riding and you are well served to massage them down.  Work with your surgeon, but I would suggest being very diligent about your massage exercises to assist in getting them into a lower position.  

For more information, please go to my website at:

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Plan on 3-6 months for these to drop...

The period of time immediately following breast augmentation surgery is characterized by rapid change. During this dynamic phase of healing, swelling, muscle spasm and the healing process itself, all contribute to changes in the appearance of a woman’s breasts.In some cases, swelling and muscle spasm can displace breast implants in a superior direction when implants are placed beneath the muscle.Based on your pictures, I believe this is a distinct possibility.
In some cases, superior implant displacement may be due to inadequate pocket dissection.When the muscle insertions of the inferior pocket aren’t adequately separated, the implant is often superiorly malpositioned.At this point in time, there’s no evidence to suggest that this has occurred in this particular case.
With time, assuming adequate pocket dissection, these implants might return to a more normal position.Sometimes, the use of massage and a superior bandeau may facilitate the process.It may take 3 to 6 months for these implants to drop into a normal position.If no progress has occurred by then, revisional surgery may be necessary.This would involve recreating the lower portions of the breast pocket.
It’s important to have good communication with your plastic surgeon.Make sure he is aware of your concerns.He is familiar with the specifics of your surgery and will be able to give you appropriate direction.

My breast look square and high up after breast augmentation?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

Your muscles are pushing the implant where they can and that is up thats why the implants look boxy it will take a few months for things to settle but I doubt they will be perfectly round in the end

34 C and 600 cc Implants at One Week

If you were a C before, you will likely be a DD after.  This is a very large augmentation, and the body will take several months with massage to determine the final result.  The implants will drop significantly.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Excessive fullness following augmentation

is a very common event.  You should work with your surgeon who should be reassuring you about what is in your future and that they will come down.  He/She has a post-op program that will help you achieve the look you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post op

The implants are riding quite high and there is more than likely significant post operative swelling. Give healing more time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast Implants Riding High After Surgery

Dear Elza,

Thank you for sharing your photo.

It seems that you are exhibiting the ideal case of implants high riding the upper pole of breasts.

It would have been helpful to have your pre-op photos posted but assuming that the pocket were created correctly for large implants as the 600cc HP you will need some assistance to help the implants drop - an compression garment may be what you are looking for.

At this point, I encourage you to discuss the aforementioned option with your surgeon as he/she knows the full details of your surgery and can help you find a custom solution to have the implants drop into where they are supposed to do.

Also, since your implants are riding high you may notice that your nipples are somehow looking down but the most noticeable feature in the photo is the "bean shaped". So, making sure that your implants are going to settle into their pockets naturally is what you will need to accomplish.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS