My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I got 600 cc High Profile Saline implants on Nov. 1st ,2012. They are stiff and look like jellybeans. They don't really have any round shape to them. I just started massaging them because they don't hurt anymore. I have had them exactly one week and I'm freaking out. I just want them to drop and look normal. Did I get them too big? Is there anything wrong with them? Anything I can do to make them more round? I was a 34 c pre- surgery.

My Breast Look Square and High Up

+2

It is quite common for implants to appear "high riding" at a week after surgery, and they can be expected to "drop" over the course of 3 months as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate these. 

As to the choice of size, that is hard to answer without preop photos and breast measurement.They do look quite large for your frame, and that may be contributing to the appearance. The width of a 600 HP implant is just under 14 cm, and many surgeons would restrict their use to patients whose breast width is 14 cm.

At any rate, work on massage and if you don't have a pectoral strap, ask your surgeon if you should be using one. 

Thanks for you question, and best wishes. 

Breast Implants Riding High After Surgery

+2

Dear Elza,

Thank you for sharing your photo.

It seems that you are exhibiting the ideal case of implants high riding the upper pole of breasts.

It would have been helpful to have your pre-op photos posted but assuming that the pocket were created correctly for large implants as the 600cc HP you will need some assistance to help the implants drop - an compression garment may be what you are looking for.

At this point, I encourage you to discuss the aforementioned option with your surgeon as he/she knows the full details of your surgery and can help you find a custom solution to have the implants drop into where they are supposed to do.

Also, since your implants are riding high you may notice that your nipples are somehow looking down but the most noticeable feature in the photo is the "bean shaped". So, making sure that your implants are going to settle into their pockets naturally is what you will need to accomplish.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Wait for implants to drop

+1
You are definitely too early in your recovery to judge your results because your breast implants haven't dropped yet. Wait 4 months to let this happen.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

+1
When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.
Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

This takes longer in patients with smaller breasts and tighter skin. Ask your surgeon if a bandage wrapped around the top portion of your breasts can help.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

My Breast Look Square and High Up After Breast Augmentation?

+1
It is has been common for the immediate post-operative appearance of breast implants to be high riding and you are well served to massage them down.  Work with your surgeon, but I would suggest being very diligent about your massage exercises to assist in getting them into a lower position.  

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Your muscles are pushing the implant where they can and that is up thats why the implants look boxy it will take a few months for things to settle but I doubt they will be perfectly round in the end

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

34 C and 600 cc Implants at One Week

+1

If you were a C before, you will likely be a DD after.  This is a very large augmentation, and the body will take several months with massage to determine the final result.  The implants will drop significantly.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Hughesplasticsurgery Los Angeles, CA

Excessive fullness following augmentation

+1

is a very common event.  You should work with your surgeon who should be reassuring you about what is in your future and that they will come down.  He/She has a post-op program that will help you achieve the look you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

POst-op breast augmentation

+1

Yes, your impalnts are very high and only one week post-op. They should drop with time. Follow closely with your surgeon.

Post op

+1

The implants are riding quite high and there is more than likely significant post operative swelling. Give healing more time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS