Can my Healed Broken Crooked Nose Only be Straightened via Surgery?

Hi. About 6 months ago I believe I broke my nose. There was a crack and a little swelling. It was only made a little crooked though, and since I'm young and uninsured I didn't go to the doctor. About a month ago I fell and my nose became more crooked. On the left side it's risen and has a bump, giving the appearance that my nose isnt straight. My breathing isnt affected,but I don't want to live with the way my nose now looks. Can a doctor rebreak and straighten my nose, or is surgery only option?

Treatment of Broken, Crooked Nose 1 Month Injury

+1

It is very unlikely a surgeon can significantly improve your cooked nose with a bump by digitally manipulating the bones1 month after the injury. Unfortunately, surgery is probably the only alternative but a much better result will be achieved.

Crooked nose

+1

By definition fixed bony or cartilaginous deformities can only be changed by phusical reshaping-surgery. No pill, spray or injection will do this. Crookrd or deviated noses are challenging and you should consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon comfortable with this problem and both internal and external nasal surgery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It will require a Rhinoplasty and osteotomies to re-break and re-allign the nasal bones and cartilage.   There is no way or manipulating the nose externally once the breaks are healed and IMHO, this closed reduction procedure has an exceedingly high failure rate (nose is still crooked) even when done before the nose heals.

Does Broken Nose Require Surgery to Correct

+1

Yes, a doctor can rebreak your nose to straighten it but it can only be done with any accuracy by operating. It may be as simple as recreating the break and aligning and splinting the nose. It may also require attention to the nasal septum which is frequently dislocated or fractured along with the nasal bones. An unrepaired septum made lead to less than satisfactory results with the reduction of the nasal bones so make sure this is checked out as well. Best of luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Nasal correction after trauma

+1

If your nasal bones were altered after trauma and are not straight the only way to straighten the nose is to straighten the nose. If your nose is re broken and straightened that is surgery.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Correcting crooked nose

+1

By about 6 weeks after breaking the nose the nasal bone have reset in their new position. As a result, in order to straighten the deviation after that point would involve creating controlled bone fractures (osteotomies) to reposition the nasal bones.

If you reinjured your nose 1 month ago it may be possible to reposition the bones without performing osteotomies though it can be difficult that far out from the injury.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Surgery to straighten a crooked nose

+1

Sorry to hear about your two nasal fractures! Your nose certainly can be improved, but it will likely require surgery. Occasionally, in very mild cases of asymmetry, we can sometimes us a filler, like Restylane, to correct a small divot in the nose. However, from your description, it sounds like you will require surgery to straighten your nose.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose straightening

+1

If it's only a month since your second injury, then you still may be swollen.  Without a picture it's impossible to properly advise you.

However:  Being a month after injury, I would suggest now leaving it for at least 6 months in the hope that with swelling reduction your nose will look acceptable.

If it still is crooked but only very mildly so, it's possible that fillers ( an injectable treatment)  might be enough to improve the appearance of symmetry.

If it is obviously and significantly crooked then there is no way of correcting it other than surgery.

If you are happy to post a good picture of your nose, more specific advice can be provided for you.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Beyond a couple of weeks following injury the only way to straighten a crooked nose is surgery

+1

Beyond a couple of weeks following injury the only way to straighten a crooked nose is surgery. During the procedure fine instruments are used to "cut" the nasal bones rather than "break the nose." Depending upon what other changes you want to make in the shape of your nose this procedure can require anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours and can be performed under twilight anesthesia. Consult with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon if you have any questions about this surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose and rhinoplasty

+1
Yes, if you had a displaced nasal fracture, surgery would be the open open. When you ask whether the bones can be "rebroken", reduction of a nasal fracture can be accomplished in the first few days after a trauma, either by an open or closed approach, but at this point, you would need surgery. The extent of that surgery would depend on the internal and external condition of the nose, whether septoplasty or SMR would be required and the degree of reconstruction required. This can be assessed during a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD