Who is a Good Candidate for Hair Transplant?

I am 21 years old, and I began losing hair when i was 19. The area around my hair line is very thin now. I was wondering, is hair transplant is an option for me right now? Who should ideally consider having hair transplant done?

Anyone is a good candidate for hair transplant surgery but consider other options

+3

The key to determining good candidates for hair restoration surgery is estimating what the patient's hair loss pattern might be. Once hair is transplanted, it will not fall out, though the native hair will continue its loss.

In a young person such as yourself, it is difficult to tell what your eventual pattern of hair loss might be and your transplant may create an unnatural appearance as you lose more hair.

You can usually get away with a small transplant to provide slightly more density in the hairline with the understanding that you will likely need additional treatment in the future as your hair loss progresses.

The other option you have is to begin either minoxidil or finasteride. If you are concerned about your hair loss, I would suggest visiting with a hair restoration surgeon who is knowledgeable in hair loss for more information and options that are specific for your concerns.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidates for Hair Transplantation

+1

A good candidate for hair transplantation should have enough donor site.Age matters but its not the primary subject if the further hair loss can be predictable for the patient.Expectation of the patient should be realistic and serious health problems should be considered. 

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Each Case is Unique

+1

In general, people under the age of 21 are too young for a hair transplant. However there are exceptions, especially when emotional factors are considered. For the average 21 year old, the treatments to consider are finesteride and Rogaine, but even these are not for everyone. When looking at hair transplantation, family history is very important and can give a good indication of where your hair loss is headed. Because your hair loss has started at such a young age, you need to look at the patterns to be expected 10-15 years from now as well as 50 years from now. Being too aggressive with hair transplantation at a young age can be a major mistake. If a transplant is done it should be done in a manner that it can stand alone as a single procedure if all of the current hair is lost and the only hair remaining on your head is the transplant. Approaching it in this way will require a lot of thought and planning and is far less likely to result in a major mistake. In addition you should be aware that a single transplant is not likely to solve your hair loss problem. You will need to add to it, probably more than once, through the coming years as you continue to lose hair. One good thing is that there are a number of non-transplant alternatives that look to be very promising regarding nonsurgical restoration of hair.

Web reference: http://www.gbkderm.com/procedures/hair-transplant

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

You are probably too young for a hair transplant

+1

Hair loss is a progressive problem in which you continue to lose hair and at your age you may lose enough hair that you will not have enough to maintain your natural result.  The best summary I can give you is in the YouTube video attached.  I hope that helps.

Web reference: http://www.hairtx.com/procedures/male-hair-restoration/

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting hair loss at a young age

+1

Hair loss is a common problem among many young males and tends to get progressively worse with age.  The problem with attempting to correct this problem at a young age is that you will likely need hair transplantation down the road to cover additional balding, thinning or receding spots.  It is important for you and your doctor to assess what stage of hair loss you are likely to be at in the future.  This is based on family genetics and your current hair loss pattern.  Without preparing for the future, you will be correcting your current hair loss issue, but will run into more problems down the road.  I recommend a consultation with an experienced hair transplantation surgeon to determine a plan of action.  Since you are young, a product like Rogaine (minoxidil) might be a good option to start out with.  Rogaine can be sprayed or applied to the scalp twice daily to increase the hair follicles.  In a few years, it might make more sense to consider hair transplantation surgery.   I hope you find this information useful. 

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidates for Hair Transplant

+1

There are certain qualifying factors to be a candidate for hair transplant. Being old enough (over the age of 24, generally) is one of them. This is due to the progressive nature of male pattern baldness. Restoring density to your hairline at the age of 21 would not serve you in 5 years when your hairline continues to recede beyond the new/permanent growth. This would create a cosmetic deformity deemed worse, by most, than the initial hair loss. It is advised to use temporary methods for the meanwhile, like minoxidil or finasteride, until your hair loss has progressed further. Getting a hair transplant too early will almost guarantee the need for a second surgery later on. Other qualifying factors for hair transplant include:

• being in good general health
  • not having extremely curly or kinked follicles (which raise the transection rate)
  • having no history of blood clotting abnormalities or keloiding
  • having no allergies to anesthesia
  • having adequate donor hair

Web reference: http://www.dermhairclinic.com/fue-hair-transplant/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Age of candidate for Hair Transplant

+1

Typically age 21 is too young for hair transplant because you don't know where your hairline will settle.  Patients that have a hair transplant too early often regret it later in life.  I typically wait  until a patient is in their late 20's to do it.

Transplants or flaps in a 21 year old? Consider with caution.

+1

Unless there are extenuating circumstances emotionally or professionally, a commitment to hair restoration surgery that would restore a juvenile hairline has to be considered on a highly individualized basis for someone of your age . The family history is usually very important . Being the first in the USA to perform flaps, starting in 1975, I worked on many young men who had only frontal baldness then. Most progressed to having a thick flap result in front and hard to style baldness behind especially when long hair became passe for men.

I have to disagree with my friend and colleague Toby Mayer about Vice-President Biden who in recent years has had follicular unit grafts added to the front of his head. I use pictures of him as an example of a good long term result in someone who was destined to have class 6 male pattern baldness. If the family history indicates a tendency for advanced baldness patterns, a result like this is quite acceptable.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Age for Hair Restoration

+1

The best candidates for hair restoration are men whose final hairloss is predictable. As a 21 year-old man, the final extent is not predictable at this stage. I would strongly advise against hair restoration at such an early age. The problem is that if you see a surgeon and he/she performs a procedure and then you lose much of the hair behind that transplant you will have an unnatural appearing transplanted hairline in front of your receding hairline. Then you will have to deal with additional surgeries to remove those grafts or place additional grafts between the transplanted hairline and receding hairline. Wait until your hairline stabilizes before determining if you are a good candidate for hair restoration surgery. In the meantime see a dermatologist and think about starting Propecia and Rogaine.

Who is a good candidate for hair transplantation?

+1

At age 21, you would be a good candidate for hair transplantation.  You probably will need more grafting in the future because you are likely to lose more hair.