How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

+3

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Hair Transplants last

+2

Hair Transplants should last forever.  The hairs used are permanent.  However, large cases may not do as well depending on how long it takes to complete the case. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Length of time hair transplant lasts

+2

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

How long does a hair transplant last?

+2

If the hair transplant grafts are taken from a donor site that will not become bald during your life-time, the transplanted grafts will grow hair permanently. The skill is determining the best donor site. In someone who is around 45 or older and the loss is a slow process, it is much easier to determine this than in someone who is in the twenties and losing hair rapidly. The goal is to make it as permanent as possible. There is no way to determine if 4000 grafts is the right amount for you without seeing you, but that is a lot of grafts. We transplant a maximum of 2500 follicular unit grafts per day. To transplant 4000 grafts would take two days, and these can be done in two consecutive days. We use the NeoGraft technique, but more important is the skill of the person doing the assessment and the procedure. 

Hair transplant surgery is not that unpleasant, as surgery goes. It is done under light sedation, it is relatively painless (I have had it done, so i know), and the post-operative recovery is just a couple of days and not unpleasant. Our patients get a very complete booklet explaining the process and expectations of and for the patient. I can easily say that our hair transplant patients are among our happiest patients receiving plastic surgery.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Transplanted Hair

+2

Male Pattern Baldness is a gradually progressive problem. To what degree your hair loss progresses  is multifactorial but mainly genetic. At the same time there are two products available that may decrease the rate of hair loss and even grow hair. They are Propecia and Rogaine, and both work by different mechanisms of action. So even if you're considering surgery there is no downside to starting one or both of the approved medications for male pattern hairloss. The transplanted hair comes from the temporal and occipital scalps and tends to last a lifetime, but in the same way that this horseshoe ring of hair may thin out in elderly men  the grafts may also thin out to some degree.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Hair Transplants are Permanent, Sort Of...

+2

Great question. I like to say that hair restoration is like painting a canvas that gets ever bigger with ever diminishing paint. Not a pretty picture. However, a hair transplant surgeon's judgment is how much canvas and how much paint is there to work with. Someone with very little area to cover of baldness with very high density that is much older is the best combination. The worst combination (and in my opinion untransplantable) is a very young patient (early 20s) with rapidly losing hair with very bad donor density. Most people are somewhere between the two extremes.

Obviously, if you are very young and rapidly losing hair, you might want to consider just shaving your head because of three reasons. First, I may never be able to transplant the whole area. Second, it might take multiple sessions to cover up the ongoing recession over your lifetime. Third, i may simply run out of hair to transplant and you might then not have enough to make your result natural.

Someone in their late 30s with amazing donor density (only a qualified hair transplant surgeon can help you determine that condition) typically should be fine and probably would require fewer lifetime sessions. Someone 50 plus with relative stable loss is even better. Only a consultation with a surgeon can help you determine what combination is best for you.

In short, the transplanted hair should be permanent if taken from a safe donor area. Unfortunately, we do not 100% know safe donor area if you are very young because you can lose hair into the donor area where grafts are harvested. The older you are the safer the chosen donor site is. In general, all of this is an art and a science. Find an ethical, qualified surgeon. I sat for the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery so that I could be as safe a surgeon as possible. hope this helps. please find a video attached of some of my general thoughts.

best,

sml

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last? #Hair transplant #duration

+1
Thank you for your question!  Hair loss can be due to many different reasons.  Providing we prevent further hair loss with oral medication, one can maintain a their volume.  Then hair transplant surgery compliments the existing hair volume in the concerned region.  Transplanted hair will continue to grow indefinitely and is the permanent solution to hair loss.  If one gets hair transplants earlier in life, then the oral medication becomes that much more important to maintain the existing pre-transplanted volume.

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Learn the key factors

+1
The success of a surgery depends on many factors: Has the doctor maintained alive the hair follicles during the hair transplant procedure? They should be kept carefully in a good humid environment and in cold temperature. Has the patient sprayed the area with saline after the treatment every 30’? Has he taken any medication to prevent any hair loss afterwards? Has he stopped smoking the first hours after the procedure? There are so many factors that decide whether your new hair will live. In good hands, new hair transplants live by 95%. As hair loss is an ongoing process, another hair transplantation procedure might be required in the future to cover the future hair loss.

Anastasios Vekris, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Ongoing hairloss

+1
If you are having ongoing hair loss and thinning, I like to stabilize the hairline first with medical treatmens. This might include the use of Rogain, or topical ketoconazole, or topical azaleic acid, or oral propecia. Once the hair loss is stabilized, then you can consider surgical intervention. If there is any history of loosing hair in small patches, then that needs to be treated by your dermatologist first.

Hair transplantation is simply harvesting hairs from a male pattern hair loss resistant area to a male pattern hair loss sensitive area. The hair transplanted will act like the other hairs on the back of the scalp. Therefore, look at other family members, and if they keep their hair on the sides and back of the scalp, then chances are you too will keep those and they should be resistant to male pattern hair loss.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologist