How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Hair Transplants are Permanent, Sort Of...

+6

Great question. I like to say that hair restoration is like painting a canvas that gets ever bigger with ever diminishing paint. Not a pretty picture. However, a hair transplant surgeon's judgment is how much canvas and how much paint is there to work with. Someone with very little area to cover of baldness with very high density that is much older is the best combination. The worst combination (and in my opinion untransplantable) is a very young patient (early 20s) with rapidly losing hair with very bad donor density. Most people are somewhere between the two extremes.

Obviously, if you are very young and rapidly losing hair, you might want to consider just shaving your head because of three reasons. First, I may never be able to transplant the whole area. Second, it might take multiple sessions to cover up the ongoing recession over your lifetime. Third, i may simply run out of hair to transplant and you might then not have enough to make your result natural.

Someone in their late 30s with amazing donor density (only a qualified hair transplant surgeon can help you determine that condition) typically should be fine and probably would require fewer lifetime sessions. Someone 50 plus with relative stable loss is even better. Only a consultation with a surgeon can help you determine what combination is best for you.

In short, the transplanted hair should be permanent if taken from a safe donor area. Unfortunately, we do not 100% know safe donor area if you are very young because you can lose hair into the donor area where grafts are harvested. The older you are the safer the chosen donor site is. In general, all of this is an art and a science. Find an ethical, qualified surgeon. I sat for the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery so that I could be as safe a surgeon as possible. hope this helps. please find a video attached of some of my general thoughts.

best,

sml

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants last

+2

Hair Transplants should last forever.  The hairs used are permanent.  However, large cases may not do as well depending on how long it takes to complete the case. 

Houston Dermatologist

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

+2

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Web reference: http://austinhairgraft.com/

Length of time hair transplant lasts

+2

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

How long does a hair transplant last?

+2

If the hair transplant grafts are taken from a donor site that will not become bald during your life-time, the transplanted grafts will grow hair permanently. The skill is determining the best donor site. In someone who is around 45 or older and the loss is a slow process, it is much easier to determine this than in someone who is in the twenties and losing hair rapidly. The goal is to make it as permanent as possible. There is no way to determine if 4000 grafts is the right amount for you without seeing you, but that is a lot of grafts. We transplant a maximum of 2500 follicular unit grafts per day. To transplant 4000 grafts would take two days, and these can be done in two consecutive days. We use the NeoGraft technique, but more important is the skill of the person doing the assessment and the procedure. 

Hair transplant surgery is not that unpleasant, as surgery goes. It is done under light sedation, it is relatively painless (I have had it done, so i know), and the post-operative recovery is just a couple of days and not unpleasant. Our patients get a very complete booklet explaining the process and expectations of and for the patient. I can easily say that our hair transplant patients are among our happiest patients receiving plastic surgery.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Transplanted Hair

+2

Male Pattern Baldness is a gradually progressive problem. To what degree your hair loss progresses  is multifactorial but mainly genetic. At the same time there are two products available that may decrease the rate of hair loss and even grow hair. They are Propecia and Rogaine, and both work by different mechanisms of action. So even if you're considering surgery there is no downside to starting one or both of the approved medications for male pattern hairloss. The transplanted hair comes from the temporal and occipital scalps and tends to last a lifetime, but in the same way that this horseshoe ring of hair may thin out in elderly men  the grafts may also thin out to some degree.

Is it permanent?

+1
Grafts that are placed during a hair transplant/restoration procedure are permanent, but that doesn't mean that the surrounding hair (in adjacent areas) or the native hair in the transplanted area may not eventually fall out. It's not really possible to say without seeing you what the best course for you may be.  A full head of hair may or may not be possible--the amount of good donor hair you have available needs to be evaluated as well as getting an idea of your future loss.  Unfortunately, there is no magic, guaranteed way of getting a full head of hair in one procedure that will remain unchanged forever.

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/face-procedures-los-angeles/hair-restoration/

Hair that "takes" can last forever.

+1

Transplant can last "forever".  There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Hair Transplants Last Permanently

+1

The hair transplants that survive last permanently.  They are taken from the back of the head where even bald men still have hair that remains.  Your plastic surgeon may recommend hair products, Rogaine and/or Propecia to help maintain the grafts and prevent the remaining hair from falling out.  It is important for the transplants to survive the initial procedure.  For this reason, we use the NeoGraft follicular extraction device to reduce trauma and handling of the grafts.  Additional benefit of this technique is that there is no strip of scalp removed, so there is no linear scar after the procedure which can be visible in men who wear their hair short.

Web reference: http://www.drhasen.com/procedures/neograft.cfm

Naples Plastic Surgeon

How long does hair transplant last?

+1

The great thing about hair transplantation is that it is permanent!  The hairs that are transplanted will continue to grow!  There are other measures you can use after the transplant to slow or halt the loss of the native, nontransplanted hair to keep your hair looking full and natural!

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon