How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Hair Transplants last

Hair Transplants should last forever.  The hairs used are permanent.  However, large cases may not do as well depending on how long it takes to complete the case. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Length of time hair transplant lasts

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

Duration of Transplanted Hair

Male Pattern Baldness is a gradually progressive problem. To what degree your hair loss progresses  is multifactorial but mainly genetic. At the same time there are two products available that may decrease the rate of hair loss and even grow hair. They are Propecia and Rogaine, and both work by different mechanisms of action. So even if you're considering surgery there is no downside to starting one or both of the approved medications for male pattern hairloss. The transplanted hair comes from the temporal and occipital scalps and tends to last a lifetime, but in the same way that this horseshoe ring of hair may thin out in elderly men  the grafts may also thin out to some degree.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Permanent however...

The hair transplanted will be permanent. However, you may continue to thin.  Thus, Rogaine and Propecia may be helpful adjuncts.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hair Transplant- A permanent solution

The great news is that Hair Transplant is a permanent solution to progressive pattern baldness. We usually start our patients on a treatment of Rogaine and propecia afterwards to help solidify the results. If a patient needed 4000 grafts, we would also split the procedure over the course of 2 days. At our Toronto office, we use Neograft, the revolutionary new technology for hair restoration and have seen fantastic results.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

How permanent is a hair transplant?

Hair transplant is considered a permanent solution for hair loss in most people.  The donor hair is removed from the back of the scalp where the hair does not go through the process of patterned hair loss.  Occasionally some people may thin out their donor hair too when they become older and this is the only occasion that you may lose the density of your transplanted hair.

If you have 4000 grafts to be harvested in one session and the need is there, it can save your time and to some degrees money due to larger sessions are usually offered at discounted rates.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

As long as your hair lasts on the back of the head

For men, hairs harvested from the back of the scalp (the donor area) should last forever.  In other words, men don't usually lose hair on the back of the head no matter how bald they are.

The key is planning out your hair restoration so that it looks natural as you only have a limited supply of donor hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss is progressive but hair transplant is permanent

Your transplanted hair should behave as it did in its original 'donor site' location. These grafts should continue to grow hair. Your scalp balding pattern will continue to evolve (along the vertex, for example) and a well planned hair transplantation should account for this fact.