How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

How Long Does Hair Transplant Take?

The general consensus is that the transplanted hair should last a long time but can be subject to genetic hair loss, depending on where the hair was extracted from.

London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Permanence of Hair Transplants

Thanks for your question. The results of a hair transplant procedure performed by a qualified, experienced surgeon are generally permanent. However, hair loss may continue to occur on other parts of the head, and some patients require occasional "touch-up" treatments to maintain their results. Others may benefit from supplemental non-surgical treatments such as Rogaine® or laser therapy. Your doctor can provide you with a customized treatment plan that gives you effective, long-term results rather than just "delaying the inevitable."

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Hair Transplants last

Hair Transplants should last forever.  The hairs used are permanent.  However, large cases may not do as well depending on how long it takes to complete the case. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Length of time hair transplant lasts

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

Duration of Transplanted Hair

Male Pattern Baldness is a gradually progressive problem. To what degree your hair loss progresses  is multifactorial but mainly genetic. At the same time there are two products available that may decrease the rate of hair loss and even grow hair. They are Propecia and Rogaine, and both work by different mechanisms of action. So even if you're considering surgery there is no downside to starting one or both of the approved medications for male pattern hairloss. The transplanted hair comes from the temporal and occipital scalps and tends to last a lifetime, but in the same way that this horseshoe ring of hair may thin out in elderly men  the grafts may also thin out to some degree.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

The best thıng about fue ıt lasts for lıfe tıme , hair folıcules of the back sıde of the male patıent genetıcly never falls as we romove and transplant them to frontal area patıent gets lıfe tıme haır growt ..

Ayse Ozturk, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

Thank you for your question. Surgical hair restoration transfers your own hair follicles from a donor site to a recipient site. Transplanted hairs are generally permanent and are not lost over time. In most cases, the back of the head is used as a donor site because follicles in this region are generally not substantially affected by the most common cause of male pattern baldness. It is important to understand that hair loss is progressive. The hair transplant procedure does not prevent further loss from non-transplanted areas. If an individual is actively losing hair, he may expect that pattern of hair loss to continue. There are medical treatments available that can help minimize that loss in most men. Speak with your hair restoration surgeon about recommendations in your case.

James M. Pearson, MD

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last

Hair Transplant result is NOT necessarily permanent, but rather long lasting in the vast majority of people. You will realise this when you have performed enough of them and have been practicing this 20 years or more.
Transplanted hairs should follow the behaviour of where they came from. Yes the hairs at the back and sides are generally not affected by the hormonal and genetic balding process but some of it may do, resulting in thinning of this area as well. Additionally recent research we have been involved with has shown that there are genetic changes that occur in the hair as a result of the ageing process independent of male pattern baldness. Whatever happens to the source area will reflect onto the hair transplant.
Having said all this, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. All along I always say my aim is to restore balance and coordination to the scalp rather than make a particular area thicker

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair are Permanent

Hey DAVEM123,

Do not worry about the transplanted hair they are permanent. and will last long

Narendra Kaushik, MCh, MS, DNB, MBBS
India Plastic Surgeon