What Type of Doctor Does Hair Restoration?

losing my hair now in my early 40s.  what doctor does hair replacements? all i heard of is bosley

Many different types of doctors do hair transplantation....

+3

Many different types of doctors do hair transplantation. The key to hair transplants is the ability to bring together a skilled surgical team, a physician who understands not only the procedure but the patterns of hair loss, and combine the latest techniques of follicular unit grafting with other modalities to produce a natural hair line.

While any physician can technically perform a hair transplant, if the physician does not understand the physiology behind hair loss, they can create a hair line that looks great for 5-10 years but looks very unnatural as the balding process continues. A good hair transplant surgeon will listen to what his patient is concerned about and then educate the patient about the need for transplanting certain areas over others.

For instance, many people are worried about hair loss at the crown (vertex) or back of the head. If this area is the only place transplanted, as hair loss progresses in the frontal areas, the patient will be left with a very unnatural appearing head of hair. Unfortunately, if all of the graft material is gone, this can become a problem. If the physician takes time to educate the patient and fills in the frontal area as well as the crown, a natural-appearing hairline can be created, which remains natural over the course of the patient's lifetime.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

There are all types of doctors that perform hair transplants these days.

Fact is, as long as you have an MD after your name you can technically perform hair transplants.

Because of the lack of regulation in the "hair transplant industry" you need to make your decisions very carefully.

The American College of Surgeons do not recognize hair transplants as a specialty. Therefore you can't become "Board Certified" in that area.

Hair transplants are something that is learned in addition to what we have become "Board Certified" in such as plastic surgery.

When talking with different clinics, look at the doctors experience, make sure you look at before and after pictures, talk with actual patients and find out about the experience of the technicians that will be assisting the MD. 

Hope this helps.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

The experience and artistry may mean more for a Hair Transplant Surgeon

+2

Although as a surgeon who has has been board certified in head and neck surgery, facial plastic surgery, and in hair restoration, I would like to claim superiority over other surgeons or dermatologists who practice this field, I simply can't. I know former family doctors and former urologists who do amazing hair restoration work because they have dedicated their whole lives to being the best. I think what is more important than "credentials" are experience and results. If you can find someone who can show you tons of before and after results, satisfied patients, and a true knowledge of hair loss diseases and how to do safe transplant work, those are the keys. I have provided a link to a video on hair restoration that I shot that at a course that I directed in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago and a link to my website for more information.

best,

sam lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Doctor For Hair Restoration

+1

Doctors who are qualified to achieve successful hair restoration results should have board certification in plastic surgery or dermatology. However there are doctors that are not of these specialties that perform hair restoration too.
Besides just having proper credentials, prospective patients like you should also look for evidence of quality results on past cases.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Type of doctor for Hair Replacements?

+1

Individual practices come from many different backgrounds.  Many hair transplant surgeons have a background of dermatology and plastic surgery.  The most important thing is their experience and artistry. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Hair Restoration Doctors

+1

There are many types of doctors that perform hair restoration procedures and Bosley has done a wonderful job educating the American consumer. However, there are a number of doctors who specialize exclusively or predominantly in hair restoration, some of whom are more artistic than others.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Type of physician for hair

+1

Would highly recommend board certified derm who has extensive experience and reputation for results.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

What type of doctor performs hair transplants?

+1

There are many types of physicians who perform this procedure. But not all have true surgical experience. There is an art to hair transplant and you should check your surgeons credentials and make sure they are board certified in a surgical specialty to assure the best results possible. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hair Restoration

+1

Physicans from many specialities do hair replacement surgery. The key is to select an experienced doctor who uses all techniques including medical therapies, transplants, and flaps.