Hair Loss 2 Months After Surgery Normal?

I had a wonderful facelift in August, however, in October I started losing my hair. Is this normal?

Hair Loss After Surgery

+1

In general, hair loss after surgery is not associated with the operative procedure unless there are other factors involved such as a browlift which can cause transient alopecia.

Hair Loss after Facelift

+1

The hair loss can occur from a variety of causes, but if this hairloss was not the result of direct damage to the hair follicles during surgery there is a good chance of regrowth.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hair loss form general anesthesia

+1

If you had general anesthesia then it is possible that the anesthetic is contributing to your hair loss.  This is one of the many reasons we prefer to use IV sedation for face lifts instead of general anesthesia

Sam Naficy, MD

Hair Loss 2 Months After Surgery Normal

+1

Some people will have hair loss from the stress of surgery and at times from the anesthetic. Hair loss near the incisions can also occur short term, Using products such as Rogaine can help speed the hair growth cycle though.

Julio Garcia, MD

Hair loss after facelift

+1

Yes, it's possible to experience hairloss after a facelift but I would expect the areas of loss to be near the healing scars.  One may expect that the hair would return but it may also represent permanent loss.  Now, if the hair loss is outside of the area of the facelift, this could represent an unrelated medical problem as the cause for the hair loss.

James Wire, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after facelift

+1

It is unusual to have hairloss 2 months after surgery. If it is a shock thing from surgery it will more than likely come back.  You may want to see a dermatologist expeert in hair to see if you have other causes of hair loss.

Hair loss after facelifts

+1

i agree that hairloss can occur. especially in the scalp or just from the anaesthesia or physical stress of surgery.

the hair will usually grow back over several months. rogain and vitain supplements can help

+1

Hair loss after a Face Lift can be from two causes.

1. The incisions within the hair bearing scalp disrupted or injured the hair follicles.
  2. The general anesthesia itself has been relported to give temporary hair loss with any type of surgery, not just Face Lifts.

I no longer place incisions within the hairr bearing scalp, front or back, when performing a minimum incision Face Lift and when doing a full Face Lift or Brow Lift that does require these incisions, I place patients on Rogaine or ladies Rogaine to stimulate the hair follicles for 1 year following the procedure.  only 1/3 of hair follicles are in the growth phase at any one time and the growth phase lasts 3-4 months.  This means that full recovery of all fiollicles can take a full year. 

Hair Loss after Surgery

+1

Hair loss can happen after surgery, especially around the incisions. It returns in a few months. If you are having hair loss all around your scalp, you need to see your doctor for an evaluation. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

It depends on the relationship between where you are loosing your hair and your facial incisions.

+1

The dissection necessary for a facelift can induce root shock in the hair above the dissection.  Usually this hair loss from root shock is temporary with hair recovering in 6 to 9 months.  However some of the hair loss can be permanent.  If you are loosing hair well away from where the surgery was performed, then this type of hair loss would not be related to the facelift procedure.